There are newer employer reviews for Baker & Taylor

System Support Specialist

Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Commerce, GA
Current Employee - Systems Support Specialist in Commerce, GA

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, great people!

Cons

Management isn't the best - in this department; opportunities for advancement are only in the corporate office and they don't pay relocation fees

Please consider leadership and compensation

50 Other Employee Reviews for Baker & Taylor (View Most Recent)

Very Smart cxompany

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baker & Taylor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work enviornment, Leadership, some opportunities

Cons

Low pay on base salarys

Great Leadership in place for Baker & Taylor

Corporate America at Its Worst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Baker & Taylor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was reasonable and benefits met with industry standard. I can also say that workers in other departments seemed to be very happy and their teams were much closer than mine, so it would seem that job satisfaction depends on the department you are in and leadership of the team.

Cons

Nepotism, secrecy and little opportunity for advancement. I worked here through the economic downturn and experienced two different leadership regimes as a result. I never thought I'd miss the first until I experienced the second. The first was very inflexible and old-school in their approach, but they were good people at heart, maybe a little too jaded. Working for them was boring, but consistent.

The second group was inexperienced, sophomoric and highly unprofessional in their leadership approach. It felt more like high school than a place of business. Neither regime understood technology well enough to lead technologists of any discipline, and both were too prideful to defer to the specialists they had on staff in matters concerning their specialties. I felt very isolated most of the time because it was made clear that my intellectual contributions weren't welcomed.

The environment was ruled by fear and the effect was palpable. So much so that after a friend of mine visited to meet with upper management, when I saw him next he said, "That place is toxic, and you can feel it right you walk in the door. It definitely starts from the top."

It makes no sense at all to seek out the best fit for a job and then undermine their contributions or belittle their efforts. When you hire people who specialize in an area of importance to your goals, defer to their judgement. Promote more leaders and less managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker & Taylor