There are newer employer reviews for Ball Aerospace

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ball Aerospace

Pros

The work is interesting; Ball does some really cool stuff.
The people and the work culture are wonderful.
Boulder is a fantastic place to live.

Cons

Red tape and corporate politics
First weeks on the job can be somewhat overwhelming; there is a lot to learn!

60 Other Employee Reviews for Ball Aerospace (View Most Recent)

Great place but they need to focus on people

Former Employee - Systems Integration and Test Engineer  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Integration and Test Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Ball Aerospace full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location in Boulder Colorado. Some awesome people and very smart people work there as well and some are very happy to help you, especially if you are new. The company does try to have activities for the staff outside of regular work functions. The projects you work on are pretty cool.

Cons

The company seems very outwardly focused. They are more concerned about winning contracts than the development of their people, especially if you are junior. I did a few summer internships there too and had a great time, and ultimately which is why I decided to go full-time. I loved my department and the people I work with, however, the management is where I feel part of the problem. There was nothing explained or no type of training program built for a new hire at the time I was there...maybe that's changed, I hope that's changed. This caused many problems and frustrations in my own work. I have no problem working hard to figure stuff out and build my own knowledge base, but at the same time, when it comes to satellite systems, there are some things that you just can't gain on your own. Working with engineers w/ 5-10+ years of experience in the field, some were VERY eager to help and share their knowledge. Many of the more senior engineers were not though. This can create a very negative work environment, especially someone who is trying to hit the ground running.

Unfortunately when it came time for lay offs, they got rid of the newest people and so myself along with several other junior people got let go.

If you really want to know or claim to know what's happening with your people, I suggest going to talk to them one on one in a neutral site. Not your office or your building, that's intimidating nor does it mean go to that employees cubicle or office either. Go to a completely neutral site and talk. I felt that many times I went to other engineers and managers and would drop hints that things weren't exactly right and nothing ever came of it. Sometimes there is more going on with your people than you realize and with certain subjects, some are way harder to bring up than others. As the management, sometimes, I feel you need to take the initiative. This was done with me, but by the time it happened, it was too late.

Good Company, good benifits, but of all government contracts, Ball has very few sites to move alround to.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Ball Aerospace full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people, has some very good middle managers, but upper management lacks imagination in the use of its people

Cons

limited places to move to within company

There are newer employer reviews for Ball Aerospace

Worked for Ball Aerospace? Contribute to the Community!