Baltimore City Public School System

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore City Public School System

Difficult and Ruthless

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher, Middle School in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Special Education Teacher, Middle School in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The kids really need you and the work is rewarding

Cons

It's emotionally abusive, evaluations are based on personal rather than professional relationships, and it's very difficult work.

Try valuing your teachers as people not just as test driven, MSA machines. Also having principals being solely responsible for evaluations is a terrible idea.

57 Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore City Public School System (View Most Recent)

I like working with the children & working with the teachers.

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Personal Assistant in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was great watching the kids go through the school year & blossom & I may have had a hand in it.

Cons

I didn't like how what I signed up for & throughout the years policies kept changing.

Treat staff respectfully no matter their position.

Former teacher, worked there for 4 years, good pay for highly qualified teacher but with its share of frustrations

Former Employee - Teacher, K-8 in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher, K-8 in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore City Public School System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was very satisfied with the compensation. Additionally, had some great colleagues. There were plenty of intelligent, hard-working people working as teachers. We would gripe about the cons...

Cons

Such as: poor administration, Central Office would change their tune every year or so. Roll out technology without beta testing. Basically ensuring technology was useless and would crash whenever teachers had to go on to update student data. Furthermore, technology would run extremely slowly thereby wasting time educators could spend on grading or lesson preparation. Probably lots of these gripes could be said of any large inner city school system.

Another one was the teacher evaluation system, completely subjective. There was one time the assistant principal (AP) was so busy stopping fights in the hallway that they didn't have time to meet me for my semiannual evaluation. The result: I was asked by this individual to sign my evaluation "as a favor." I shouldn't have done it but was already on my way out so...whatever. Furthermore, teachers are evaluated on proficient, satisfactory, and unsatisfactory. In some schools, it's an "old boys" club where principals and APs only give their friend's the proficient rating. There was probably a quota for how many proficients a principal could give so they would use it for their most senior staff. The whole teacher evaluation system was totally lacking in any empirical backing.
    After serving for four years, I decided to leave.
    (This next part is about a different school system) I have since worked for another school district and when I left them after two years, they held a ceremony for all teachers leaving the district. At this ceremony they gave the departing teachers a box of chocolates and a printed thank you certificate. It sounds corny but at least I felt appreciated. (Not Baltimore)

After four years at BCPSS, I decided to leave.
    I'm not going to pretend I was the greatest teacher alive but I showed up to work and tried to give it my all despite some large barriers and what did I get after four years, nothing. No ceremony with a crappy box of chocolates and cheesy certificate. When we treat employees like this, they feel like used up snotty tissues. After they were used, they were thrown away.

It would have been nice to have been told something along these lines, "Hey, we know it was tough at times, we know you tried hard and came to work. Thank you for doing your best in a difficult situation."

After four years at BCPSS, I decided to leave.

It would have been nice to have been told something along these lines, "Hey, we know it was tough at times, we know you tried hard and came to work. Thank you for doing your best in a sometimes difficult situation."

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore City Public School System