There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group

Great products to sell, fun and creative staff

Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement, I have been with the company for 7years (started right out of college) and have held several positions. Advertising solutions work really well for customers and we have a huge portfolio of options to present to advertisers. Most managers are great and hardworking. Lots of freedom- I work from home some days- my manager does not micromanage. It's a large office with a very diverse staff. Lots of opportunities to be involved- either at work or with the community. Can take clients to games, events, ect. AWESOME benefits.

Cons

Large office- lots of competition for best books of business, categories. Lots of paperwork (it is a newspaper) they should be able to streamline the ad entry process.

Advice to Management

They roll out new products - special sections too fast- sometimes we do not have enough time to present it to everyone or enough training. Some of the managers need to focus more on the bottom line- selling- and not the administrative stuff- luckily my manager is not that way. More communication. What is the reason why we are changing something or launching something new? More updates on direction of company.

Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group

1. Best days are past

Former Employee - Writer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Writer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who care about the news and the city. They are struggling to find stories and innovate despite the corporate atmosphere.

Cons

Chasing a downward spiral of advertising dollars and attempting to right the corporate wrongs that set things in the wrong direction years ago.

Advice to Management

Pay your best people to keep them around.

2. Love my job in Advertising Sales

Current Employee - Cultivator- Sales in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Cultivator- Sales in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large portfolio of products to sell, lots of freedom (most sales reps work from home), management does not bother you unless you are not doing your job, advertising products work- advertisers get great results. Pay is great if you exceed your goals and have a good territory or book of business- also great benefits.

Cons

Large staff- you dont get to know many people, except for immediate team members, too many things to sell (so many special sections, ect)

Advice to Management

Get in the field more and meet with advertisers. Simplify internal processes so sales can focus more on selling