Baltimore Sun Media Group

www.baltimoresun.com
  www.baltimoresun.com
There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group

I love my job in media sales!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different and I get to work with lots of fun and interesting people and businesses. Lot's of freedom, as long as I am doing my job, sales managers leave me alone- yet they are available if I need assistance with a problem or a client. Lots of great products to offer customers- products work well and are easy to get passionate about. The new director of retail advertising is great- knows what she is doing and is very motivating and fair. overall pay is good- base salary is a little low ($30's) but commissions are good and I have had some very good months- no cap on commissions. 1st few years made in the $60's now make $85,000 plus.

Cons

Parts of our business are in decline (newspaper) and while we do have a lot of other options to offer our advertisers- You hear it every day "nobody reads the newspaper"... which is far from true- but it's he number one objection. company needs to move more quickly to repackage products to changing times. Training needs to be more focused on actual field experiences- not just reviewing products and who is the best audience for them.

Get out and meet with customers more. Simplify, simplify, simplify/combine (order process/ communication/marketing). We have so much- it gets overwhelming to sales people and customers. Do some reputation mgmt and promote our brand- geez, we sell that service to our customers- the reviews on this site are obviously people we let go . It is not perfect- but I am happy and would recommend to my friends to work here.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group (View Most Recent)

They work hard, but they're behind

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone there seems to work their butts off. People are very dedicated to producing content. Print folk care about the paper.

Cons

Digital presence is terrible. The site (a recent re-design) is horrible, and not a lot of people understand the site's importance. A lot of old voices (particularly in sports) quite frankly shouldn't have a job in journalism. Employees are overworked, but hiring freezes make it hard to fill holes.

Invest in coders who can completely redesign the site, mobile site and app. Hire reporters who understand how to do more than just write.

Are you up for a challenge?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time

Pros

Great place to take on new responsibilities and gain knowledge.

Cons

Very fast paced, somewhat high stressed environment with top down management

Allow creativity and ideas from deeper within the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group