Baltimore Sun Media Group

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group

Unstable Company

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, the pulse of Baltimore; Offered employee incentives, perks: it's an established name in Baltimore

Cons

Unstable, low pay/commissions, manager was difficult to find sometimes and unprofessional, lacked guidance, prices to high for market/economy/state of the newspaper/magazine industry

Nurture who you have, and invest in them!! Offer competitive salaries/commissions with ATTAINABLE goals

32 Other Employee Reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group (View Most Recent)

Baltimore Sun Media Group is like a family business.

I worked at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make lasting friendships. Some have even met his/her spouse there. Generally good, hard working people find their way to the Sun.

Cons

Vision and future of company and newspaper industry, digital included, is uncertain. This translates to lack of opportunity for those who really want to grow skill sets and advance. You can get good experience there, cut your teeth so to speak but then you'll need to leave. Leave for better pay, pay that let's you move out of your parent's house, and more opportunity. My general opinion is you have a job at BSMG not a career.

Be more transparent. If never hurts no matter how much you are afraid it will.

I love my job in media sales!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Baltimore Sun Media Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Every day is different and I get to work with lots of fun and interesting people and businesses. Lot's of freedom, as long as I am doing my job, sales managers leave me alone- yet they are available if I need assistance with a problem or a client. Lots of great products to offer customers- products work well and are easy to get passionate about. The new director of retail advertising is great- knows what she is doing and is very motivating and fair. overall pay is good- base salary is a little low ($30's) but commissions are good and I have had some very good months- no cap on commissions. 1st few years made in the $60's now make $85,000 plus.

Cons

Parts of our business are in decline (newspaper) and while we do have a lot of other options to offer our advertisers- You hear it every day "nobody reads the newspaper"... which is far from true- but it's he number one objection. company needs to move more quickly to repackage products to changing times. Training needs to be more focused on actual field experiences- not just reviewing products and who is the best audience for them.

Get out and meet with customers more. Simplify, simplify, simplify/combine (order process/ communication/marketing). We have so much- it gets overwhelming to sales people and customers. Do some reputation mgmt and promote our brand- geez, we sell that service to our customers- the reviews on this site are obviously people we let go . It is not perfect- but I am happy and would recommend to my friends to work here.

There are newer employer reviews for Baltimore Sun Media Group