There are newer employer reviews for Banana Republic

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Strongsville, OH
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (less than a year)

Pros

~Awesome employee discount
~New product coming in all the time

Cons

~Flexibility
~Hours
~Not allowed to use rewards dollars with employee discount

~Allow employees to use their rewards dollars with their employee discount

reviews filtered by
  1. it is what you make of it

Current Employee - Non-Sell Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Non-Sell Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

large company to grow in, transfer and promotions are pretty available if you deserve them
    MOST management really care about being good leaders
    non sales job options; not dealing with customers

Cons

dealing with customers
    pay rate/ poor initials raises if not planning on growing in company

I wouldn't recommend working with this company to my worst enemy.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discount on merchandise as well as cell phone discounts (depending on the carrier). Flexibility to give away/pick up shifts. Every employee has their own private locker to place their personal belongings in during their scheduled shift.

Cons

When I was first employed at Banana Republic, everything was great. I cannot remember having any major complaints about the management team or the company as a whole. About 3 months into my employment, new management took over the store and that is truly when everything just got completely out of hand.

The management team does not care for any of the associates, all they do is sit in the office and gossip, pick and choose favorites, threaten jobs when credit card goals are not met, and put on an act whenever corporate pays a visit. Advancing in this company depends on WHO you know, not WHAT you know. This is one company that does not believe in promoting from within. Since I have worked there, so many people get hired on as managers, then quit after a few months, while people who have been with the company for years are still stuck in the same minimum wage paying positions.

Working here is like 21st century slavery. I'm not even joking. The atmosphere in this place is so suffocating. The managers are constantly breathing down your neck, chasing you around the store, and demanding perfection in everything that is asked of you. There are many times when they will have you doing multiple things at once; being a cashier, walking the sales floor, doing go-backs, helping out in the fitting room, replenishing, customer service, etc. Being hired on as a "sales associate" basically means that they will use you whichever way they see fit. The hours are lousy, and the management team has very little consideration for issues regarding employees. They are not concerned that they schedule associates for 10 hours a week, because at the end of the day they are guaranteed their 40 hours. How on earth can anyone survive off of 10 hours a week?!

Don't even get me started on the credit cards! If there's anything that the managers care about-anything at all-it would be the opening of Banana Cards. THEY receive bonuses for associates' effort and hard work--it's no wonder they PUSH and PUSH throughout their entire shifts for associates to force cards down customer's throats.

The company's motto of putting the customer's first, then team, then task is a complete lie. There is no emphasis on team within this organization; associates are overworked and underpaid. The only "team" that is regarded is the management team, all others get pushed into the dark.

First and foremost, people that have been with the company for years should be the first candidates considered for management positions when they become available, as opposed to hiring from outside sources. It is ridiculous that many sales associates know how to operate the store better than new managers hired from the outside. Quite frankly it's a disgrace to the company that ASSOCIATES have to train these same incompetent individuals that receive these assistant managers positions primarily because they are friends with the associate/store manager. There has to be more accountability and monitoring as to who gets hired; perhaps interviews with the district manager before the position is offered?

Second, there should be some sort of incentive for employees that do meet their goals and do open Banana Cards. I do not believe that it is at all fair that managers receive bonuses for someone else's efforts. That is a huge slap in the face, and is really discouraging for those who do strive to meet goals--with no rewards. There has got to be better rewards other than RAVE points.

Three, the pay is just not competitive at all. For a single store to make 30-50K in a single day, I do not see how there isn't enough payroll to grant employees more hours, or why the average associate only makes $8/hr. This company can afford to pay associates $10/hr. The hours are scarce many times, yet the management team takes it upon themselves to hire more employees when they barely have hours for their current employees.

The company really needs to focus on the driving force behind the success of the company---the associates. They are the ones that are on the floor recommending outfits, pulling sizes from the stock room for customers, helping customers find what they are looking for, opening brand credit cards, and closing the sales. The employees at the bottom of the corporate ladder are the reason behind its success, yet they are the least regarded. I am glad I left this dead-end job for a better opportunity elsewhere that recognized my potential, and I have recently been promoted to a management position. Eventually, the other great people still employed with this company with plenty of potential are going to leave, just as I have.

There are newer employer reviews for Banana Republic