Horrible management, low wages, high pressure

Former Employee - Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal in Chicago, IL

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The camaraderie amongst the dissatisfied employees.
50% merchandise (although minimum wages made it virtually impossible to ever be able to purchase the merchandise...).
Understanding that I was balancing school & work...was able to work my schedule around my classes with ease.

Cons

Literally every SINGLE shift manager was a nightmare. They were never satisfied and would constantly give negative feedback on performance. I don't think I was ever given a positive critique. There was a lot of favoritism and those working in my position were highly disregarded as human beings.
The badgering about Banana cards was relentless! My hours were cut for two weeks because I was 1 Banana card short of meeting my quota.

Have respect for each and every person! Whether they're a lead cashier or a sales assistant, in the back folding sweaters to put back on the floor....give all employees equal respect!
And perk up management, life isn't that terrible!!

Other Reviews for Banana Republic

Horrible definitely does not reflect previous Gap inc values with Gap brand

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time

Pros

Salary was the best part

Cons

Horrible upper level leadership. Who you know not what you know.

Re-evaluate upper level leadership and what they stand for. Gap inc foundation is valuing their people. There should be consistency throughout the company not state based.

Fun co-workers, horrible bosses

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employee discount was great and I enjoyed the day to day tasks of organizing the sales floor and helping customers. Banana Republic as a whole is a great company, this location, though, was not.

Cons

The managers pushed the Banana Cards way too much. The amount you made in sales did not matter for a day, if you did not sell a Banana Card. They also were horrible about scheduling shifts. I am a fulltime student and asked to work less than 20 hours a week. For two months they regularly scheduled me for 35 hours a week! I asked them repeatedly to stop, but eventually I just had to quit.

Pay attention to worker needs!

There are newer employer reviews for Banana Republic.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!