There are newer employer reviews for Banana Republic

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gap Inc in general has a great company attitude. They're committed to keeping their employees working for the company and it shows. They provide amazing discounts (50% at Banana, Gap, & Old Navy). Transferring between stores is pretty easy. For the most part they value their employees and let you know how the entire store/ company is doing so it really feels like you have a part in the entire process. It's a pretty team-oriented company. All of your sales, credit card goals, & customer satisfaction scores are store-wide goals, so they don't pressure you personally to meet unrealistic goals. They're pretty lenient - I've been late to work a couple times and they just gave me verbal warnings. They do let people go, but it's pretty predictable - I've never seen someone fired without warning or who didn't deserve it. Their open-door policy is also pretty impressive. They actually listen to you. And the best thing other than their amazing discount is that they promote from within. There are pretty great opportunities to move up in the company and you'll see a lot of people who stay with the company for years.

Cons

The hours are pretty terrible. You go from 30+ hours one week to 12 the next. There have been weeks where I haven't been scheduled at all. It would be almost impossible to hold this as your only job if you're a single person using this as your primary income. For the most part, you don't really get many hours (except maybe for the holidays) because they schedule the mangers to work almost daily. There have been days where the entire store is being run by managers because no associates were scheduled. There are as many managers as there are associates as well, and since they do pretty much everything the associates do in addition to their jobs as managers, they take most of the hours away from associates. Not to mention that associates handle a lot of what most other stores would have their managers take care of. They have associates handle returns & customer complaints - pretty much anything customer service related that other retail stores would have their managers take care of, associates can take care of here. It's nice in that you have the freedom to do just about anything, but you're also not being paid much to handle all of it. The customers are also pretty rude. A lot of them are stuck up and don't want to waste their time with you, which is par for the course for retail. The difference is the amount of returns & go-backs we process each day. I've never worked at a store with as much of a problem with them as Banana. The pay is pretty low, as is to be expected. You start above minimum wage and get a raise at the end of each year, but expect to still be making under $10/hr (probably even under $9/hr when you start). Couple that with the insane hours (I've had 10pm-5am shifts, 5am-9am shifts, you name it. I have been in the store at literally every hour of the day), and it can get somewhat annoying. Most of these cons though apply to just about every retail store, though. So as far as retail goes, this is probably one of the best companies you could work for.

Other Employee Reviews for Banana Republic

1. Sales Associate

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Only pro is the discount for full price items. and discounts at Gap and Old Navy.

Cons

Corrupt managing methods. Management showed favoritism and don't count on getting rewarded for going above and beyond. Staying later than scheduled to put clothing away. Cleaning fitting rooms. Awful hourly pay, with a rare opportunity to ever get a raise or advance.

Advice to Management

Learn to acknowledge good work. They are completely hypocritical. They tell us not to 'shop' while on the clock, while they do that in front of us all the time. If clothing is on the floor they pick it up and tell the associates to put it away. They steer away from teamwork.

2. Where do I begin?

Former Employee - Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Part Time, Seasonal in Albany, NY

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were not a lot of benefits to working here. There is an employee discount, and that's about the only benefit.

Cons

I’m writing this review to warn people about working here as a seasonal sales associate. I worked at Banana Republic for three months during the 2012 holiday season and it was an absolute nightmare. I had some major problems working here, which I will elaborate on below. 1) I Was Not Paid for All the Hours I Worked When I got my first paycheck, I noticed it was less than half of what I was expecting it to be. I was expecting to be paid for the four hours of training I went through during that previous pay period, yet I noticed after examining the paystub that I was only paid for two hours. I brought this to the attention of one of the store’s managers, who told me it must have been an error and that they’d fix it. It never got fixed. From that point forward I made sure to keep track of all the hours I worked. After every shift, I went back to my car and noted in a log the times I clocked in and out at the start and end of my shift, as well as the times I clocked in and out for any breaks or meals. I kept track of the exact number of hours I worked and should have been paid for, and I compared that number to the number of hours my pay stub reported that I worked. With the exception of one pay period, I was always paid for fewer hours than I worked. After noticing a pattern of not getting paid, I asked one of the managers about it. They said they didn’t know anything about it and that I was probably just wrong. They didn’t even ask to see my paystub or anything like that to compare it to the schedule to see that I really wasn’t being paid. I did, however, manage to ask another sales associate about this who informed me that she knew the store management cut an hour or two off everyone’s hours worked in order to not go over the allotted payroll hours the store was given each pay period. The fact that this gets done is completely unacceptable to me, and I am beyond mad that I had to endure this. In total, there are about 25 hours that I should have been paid for but was not paid for. 2) The Schedule Never Came Out on Time Scheduling was a major problem. First of all, the store does the schedule for only one week at a time and is supposed to release the workweek schedule on the Wednesday before the workweek begins. This never happened. The schedule was always late, and in many cases I would not get the schedule until the day before the workweek was set to begin. Less than one day’s notice of when you’re supposed to come into work is not right. Associates should have adequate notice of when they are required to come into work. Additionally, I would like to add that most employees working there had other commitments (like school events, other jobs or family commitments) that were tough to manage with the last minute scheduling carried out at this store. 3) The Store Will Send You Home Early If No One Is Shopping I was routinely sent home early while working here if the store was not busy. Most of the time I was happy to be sent home because you are really not treated well as a sales associate at Banana Republic and it was a relief to leave. However, getting sent home twenty minutes into you’re shift is annoying and wrong. I showed up to work several times and was told to go home after only working for fifteen or twenty minutes because the store was not busy. And I want to stress that this really did happen to me. I would get dressed up (in Banana Republic’s dress code), commute to the store, clock in, and then twenty minutes later be told to clock out and go home because the store was not busy. And what makes this even more annoying is that no one from the store ever called or emailed me beforehand to say the store is not busy and that I didn’t need to come into work on that day. The store managers would wait until I got there and worked for fifteen or twenty minutes and then they would tell me they didn’t need me to come in after all on that day. This was really frustrating to deal with. Someone could really call you beforehand and let you know they’re basically cancelling your shift so that you don’t have to spend you’re time and money commuting into the store. 4) Breaks All I’m going to say here is that I and several other sales associates worked several shifts without getting any break or meal. We would literally work four or five hours straight without getting any break. This was common. 5) Folding Be prepared to do a lot of folding if you work here as a sales associate. Why we had to re-fold piles of clothes all day long that were already perfectly folded and sized was beyond my understanding.

Advice to Management

1) Schedules need to come out and be given to employees at least two weeks in advance of the start of the workweek period. 2) Rotate people through different parts of the store during their shift. People shouldn't be forced to stand in the fitting room for their entire 4 or 6 hour shift. It gets boring and makes the work unnecessarily more difficult. Switch the tasks people are doing at least once during their shifts.