There are newer employer reviews for Bandwidth

Not OK

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Bandwidth as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

CEO - He is probably the best thing in Bandwidth. You will get 1.5 hour of lunch if you are work out kind of guy. You will be served beer on thursday after noon and lots of endorsement deal with local people.

Cons

There is not real path. The company is putting to much emphasis on becoming next google or facebook and wasting money on silly idea. If you are good speaker and know flattering the senior management you would be happy but if you are a strategic person who do right then you will not survive here. Their API are not strong because that has been developed by some developer speak a lot and believe in show off.

Hire some real technical people who have some knowledge not just good presentation skill. Write one or two good application or program rather than chasing the rabbit. I literally hear from my director is to make the application without any design in his word " just finish the work and we will see if that would survive or not"

53 Other Employee Reviews for Bandwidth (View Most Recent)

If you fit, you will fall in love all over again

Current Employee - Art Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Art Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Bandwidth full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bandwidth has one of the most vibrant cultures in the region. This isn't by chance, it's by design. They hire carefully...looking for people that fit. Smart, helpful, engaged, passionate people that are thrilled by innovation...people that are full of ideas and have the social intelligence to know how to express them. Agile and efficient people that like challenges and solving problems. Flexible people that don't mind changing course in the middle of the ocean because the winds have changed. Amiable people. It's not a rare person that fits at Bandwidth, but it has to be the right person.

So yeah, I've been here a long time (10 years) and I've seen it grow from a company of 30 to 360. It's had its ups and downs and has always been fast paced...that's why it was ranked the 4th fastest growing privately held company from 2002 to 2007 (Inc. 500). I was there when small teams did what large companies couldn't. Bandwidth became a CLEC, built strong partnerships with some of the largest technology companies in the world, assembled the 6th largest voice network in the country in 4 short years (the top five companies are ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Level (3) and T-mobile) and launched Republic Wireless in about 6 months, a hybrid calling service (wi-fi and cell), the first legitimate threat to big cell. So yeah, they're fast paced. I've read reviews of people claiming that Bandwidth is a playground, it's not serious, professional and all they do is drink beer. It's baffling how they've grown so spectacularly and nobody works.

The company looks and feels young, but isn't necessarily young. I've heard comments of people saying "we don't hire people that are 40 and above." However, our co-founders and a lot of our key leadership is between 40-60 (and we also have young leadership). I understand why someone would think it's full of 20 year olds because many at Bandwidth look young. It's amazing how little you will age here.

The benefits at Bandwidth are the best in the region. 100% medical (not affected by ObamaCare), babies are free (they pay your deductible), free gym memberships at NC State's facilities, shuttles to take you to the gym from the office and back, 90 minute workout lunches, team outings, the coolest company swag (although not as much as before due to negative comments on this site...thanks guys), food trucks, Shark Tanks (open invitation for anyone to present an idea to a board), Hackathons, a patent program, two cool corporate chaplains, work from home arrangements and Q&As with the CEO every Thursday (beer is provided but it's not a party). If that's not enough, you'll also get to work on cutting edge technology that can literally change the world.

Of course, I'm an advocate of the company (10 years is a long time) and I'm generally not exposed to the negativity that I've seen on this site. Bandwidth is like anywhere, it's not perfect. But you can always trust that it's striving to change...to be better. That's what fits around here.

Cons

If you don't fit, you'll either be miserable, leave or be asked to leave. If you're not flexible and can't handle pace, you won't fit here.

Keep trying to improve and I'm very impressed with how much they've progressed over the last 3 years.

Absolutely the best company atmosphere I've experienced - great place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Bandwidth full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Start-up atmosphere without the start-up hours or worries.
    Great team building exercises and excursions.
    Promotes health and wellness.
    Great benefits package - especially regarding health insurance.

Cons

I have no cons. I left due to the commute I had, but that's no knock on the company.

Keep it up!