Banfield Pet Hospital

www.banfield.com
  www.banfield.com
There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

Quick paced, computerized, good quality practice opportunity

Current Employee - Veterinarian
Current Employee - Veterinarian

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

good systems/standards, ability to learn about business aspect/management, great production based compensation, medical support

Cons

tedious software, high percentage prev care may become monotonous, long evening/weekend hours

Increase wages for paraprofessionals to attract higher quality candidates

298 Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital (View Most Recent)

Stressful, unethical company to work for

Former Employee - PetNurse
    Former Employee - PetNurse

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Free wellness plan
    Pet Smart discount

Cons

Banfield has something called APC, average patient charge. This is the figure that determines the success of your hospital at the end of the day. Patient care=APC. Bottom line.

They used to only sign healthy pets onto wellness plans, since they are preventive care for healthy pets, or so we are told to say. Now they will sign up just about anything. Heartworm positive dogs even.

They expect you to have 100% availability, even if your part time. You must be at their beck and call. And do not even think of having a family or being sick. You will be questioned as to whether or not you can do your job.

They told us that our doctor had no say-so in what our hospital needed to order each week or how the hospital was run. If you made this much money that day, why didn't you make more, if you saw this many patients, why didn't you see more. No matter what you do, it is never enough.

There was a ton of negativity in the place because of the stress of being understaffed and overworked. One doctor and the schedule was 1 patient every 15 minutes, plus surgeries and drops off and sick pets and walk ins. Just ridiculous.

It is a sad state of affairs because I used to be a client there and it was Banfield and a particular doctor that convinced me to change professions and follow my passion, which is caring for animals. I truly wanted to work for Banfield. The company has changed, however, and not for the better. My vision of quality pet care and Banfield's do not match.

The company does not care about you as a person, no matter what they say. Field leadership is heartless and bullying in its tactics. Training (not technical) done off site is inconvenient and pointless. This company talks out of both sides of its mouth. One the one side it is spouting client experience, quality care, blah, blah and on the other, it's all about APC and profit.

I cannot put into words here how very disappointed I am in the work experience called Banfield. Since it was the first place I worked in this field, I thought it was the norm. I know better now and realize it is the exception to the norm.

I would never recommend them as a place to work.

Hire quality people and let them do their jobs. If you do your job correctly, the profit will come. Realize that people have lives and that Banfield is not a God-like figure. Hire upper management with common sense and heart.

One of the worst Employers I have ever had

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital

Pros

Meeting new people.
    Meeting some great pets.
    Getting to know the people over at PetSmart.
    Having a weekday or 2 off.
    Some of my co workers were awesome.

Cons

The hours are long.
    Having to rely on PetSmart to open the door at 640am, when they are in the back and can't hear the buzzer.
    Having unnecessary weekly meetings.
    Lots of backstabbing and negativity.
    Absolutely no balance of family and work.
    Constantly harrassing clients by phone to remind them of appointments missed,past due,scheduled(24 hours and 3 and 5 days in advance) and following up on them if they came in for simple things like vaccines the next day.
    The insurance has a 2500 deductible in addition to being extremely high.
    Constantly having to upsell unnecessary products and the Wellness Plans.
    Being the only person in front expected to make calls,answer phones,schedule appts, check in and check out appts and walk ins, in addition to answering questions from various people walking up to you, and making sure estimates are done. If all of this is not done you are supposed to stay late,even if you have a family to take care of.
    Unnecessary field training.
    Constant criticisms if you are unable to get all of your work done.
    The list goes on but this is what was at the top of my head.
    The computer software is outdated, you have to retype stuff too many times while a line builds in the lobby.

Have 2 CSC's for at least part of the day, pay more, show appreciation, have the CEO go on Undercover Boss along with Field Leadership, and lighten up, jobs should not be that stressful especially for the pay. Maybe have a call center make the calls and update the software so that information autopopulates from the scale and not having to type the same things over and over. Having a surgical suite for dental cleanings instead of them being out in the open.

There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital