Depends on location.

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant
Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Affordable veterinary care for customers, great training opportunities (especially for less experienced techs), decent salary, typically flexible schedule, and the facilities are typically nice ones with nice equipment to work with. They also have the "Banfield Learning Center" online, which has lessons on any basics you may not have learned or picked up in tech school.

Cons

You have to treat each Banfield like an individual hospital. At some locations, the doctors are very underqualified/undertrained and so are the techs, making the quality of medicine poor. At other locations, everyone's amazing and the quality of medicine is great! I filled in at several branches and my experience was VERY different depending on which branch I was at. One of the biggest downsides is that since the corporationg is very profit driven, some doctors are forced to see more appointments than they want to, and if a doctor is a top-earned, nothing they do is ever wrong in the company's eyes. Be ready to tolerate the craziness.

Advice to Management

Your vets (especially the ones just out of school) need WAY more training/mentorship. On more than one occassion I have seen silly, stupid mistakes that no vet should ever make (not staying sterile during surgery, not setting up a fluid line correctly, misdosing).

Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

1. Unique culture

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great-free optimum wellness plan, discounted Mars candy, onsite bistro, free parking, good bonus

Cons

Location is a bit out of the way, really have to buy into the Mars culture-a lot of associate engagement is expected.

Good place if you want used car salesmen managing hospitals....

Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian in Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian in Johnston, RI

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good. That's about it.

Cons

High turnover due to poor work environment. They hire lots of new grads and people with little to no animal care experience to save $$. Reluctant to invest in equipment or personnel. Not at all sensitive to the stresses and problems that are seen with running a hospital (how can they be, when management is not medically trained?). Their expectations are unrealistic (tell me how we are supposed to greet everyone that walks by, answer the phone in 3 rings or less AND have a tech monitoring surgery when you only allow one tech on at a time and the front desk person is only part time??

Advice to Management

Doctors should not be worrying about kowtowing to upset clients who feel the need to call and complain to an 800#, reciting a script for possible "mystery shoppers", and fitting their days into your artificial time frames. Let vets do their jobs and not worry about your politics and marketing.