Depends on location.

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant
Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Affordable veterinary care for customers, great training opportunities (especially for less experienced techs), decent salary, typically flexible schedule, and the facilities are typically nice ones with nice equipment to work with. They also have the "Banfield Learning Center" online, which has lessons on any basics you may not have learned or picked up in tech school.

Cons

You have to treat each Banfield like an individual hospital. At some locations, the doctors are very underqualified/undertrained and so are the techs, making the quality of medicine poor. At other locations, everyone's amazing and the quality of medicine is great! I filled in at several branches and my experience was VERY different depending on which branch I was at. One of the biggest downsides is that since the corporationg is very profit driven, some doctors are forced to see more appointments than they want to, and if a doctor is a top-earned, nothing they do is ever wrong in the company's eyes. Be ready to tolerate the craziness.

Advice to Management

Your vets (especially the ones just out of school) need WAY more training/mentorship. On more than one occassion I have seen silly, stupid mistakes that no vet should ever make (not staying sterile during surgery, not setting up a fluid line correctly, misdosing).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Banfield Pet Hospital Vet Assistant

Former Employee - Vet Assistant in Oviedo, FL
    Former Employee - Vet Assistant in Oviedo, FL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always around cute puppies, protocols are enforced for your safety as well as the pet's safety. Employees are allowed up to 3 free wellness plans for their pets. I love the wellness plans, they are convenient and include lab diagnostics. I can get my pet's teeth cleaned every year. I like that Banfield provides employees with numerous training tools as well as giving their employees discounts with AT&T and 50% off on Royal Canin food. Whenever you sign a client up on a wellness plan you get an extra $5 added to your paycheck.

Cons

It's hard to get full time hours if you're not a certified vet tech. Because Banfield is corporate they can use your paid time off whenever if you didn't use it. They can also add breaks if you didn't clock out for a break.

Advice to Management

Full time hours and benefits should be given to employees who want it and have shown leadership.

2. Love it

Current Employee - Practice Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Practice Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Everything is amazing here at Banfield

Cons

Nothing really everything is great

Advice to Management

None