There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

Should be called Starbucks Pet Hospital

Current Employee - Veterinarian
Current Employee - Veterinarian

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, lots of locations

Cons

Long hours, little recognition, poor leadership from regional level up who have no idea of what happens in veterinary hospitals, huge influx of leaders from retail or restaurant industries who have no business managing hospitals and view medicine no differently than selling lattes. Overly focused on money and constantly drive doctors to sell. Politics galore, group think mentality, not open to innovation or creativity

Realize that the glowing 5 star ratings from Portland are planted by the corporate recruiting and media machines to improve Banfield's dismal image. They do not paint a realistic picture of this company.

262 Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital (View Most Recent)

Banfield Pet Hospital Vet Assistant

Former Employee - Vet Assistant  in  Oviedo, FL
    Former Employee - Vet Assistant in Oviedo, FL

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Always around cute puppies, protocols are enforced for your safety as well as the pet's safety. Employees are allowed up to 3 free wellness plans for their pets. I love the wellness plans, they are convenient and include lab diagnostics. I can get my pet's teeth cleaned every year. I like that Banfield provides employees with numerous training tools as well as giving their employees discounts with AT&T and 50% off on Royal Canin food. Whenever you sign a client up on a wellness plan you get an extra $5 added to your paycheck.

Cons

It's hard to get full time hours if you're not a certified vet tech. Because Banfield is corporate they can use your paid time off whenever if you didn't use it. They can also add breaks if you didn't clock out for a break.

Full time hours and benefits should be given to employees who want it and have shown leadership.

Good place if you want used car salesmen managing hospitals....

Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian  in  Johnston, RI
    Former Employee - Associate Veterinarian in Johnston, RI

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are good. That's about it.

Cons

High turnover due to poor work environment. They hire lots of new grads and people with little to no animal care experience to save $$. Reluctant to invest in equipment or personnel. Not at all sensitive to the stresses and problems that are seen with running a hospital (how can they be, when management is not medically trained?). Their expectations are unrealistic (tell me how we are supposed to greet everyone that walks by, answer the phone in 3 rings or less AND have a tech monitoring surgery when you only allow one tech on at a time and the front desk person is only part time??

Doctors should not be worrying about kowtowing to upset clients who feel the need to call and complain to an 800#, reciting a script for possible "mystery shoppers", and fitting their days into your artificial time frames. Let vets do their jobs and not worry about your politics and marketing.

There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

Worked for Banfield Pet Hospital? Contribute to the Community!