Banfield Pet Hospital

www.banfield.com
There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

Politics, corporate greed, and clueless leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

It's great to be around pets all day, and to be able to visit at the hospitals as a corporate employee is fantastic. The doctors do a great job with what stress they are put under. The equipment they have in their hospitals seem to be pretty good, although their blood analyzers (CBT) are outdated.

Cons

The leadership at corporate is almost entirely focused on money. How to get more people signed up on wellness plans, how to make the doctors work more hours, and how to hire the least expensive techs. They constantly monitor the financial performance of the hospitals, yet don't monitor the medical quality much at all. They make you wait several months before your benefits kick in, and even then it's a really high deductible. High occurrences of pet deaths across all hospitals without in depth analysis of why they occurred is very scary. Doctors are mostly fresh out of school and are not given much downtime to attend continuing ed opportunities.

I'll give some, but they are so arrogant and headstrong they likely won't listen. Get balanced in your approach to measurements of performance. It's not all about the money. Treat people with respect, and really live the values you say you believe in. Stop pretending to take input from associates, and actually listen.

322 Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital (View Most Recent)

Don't work for Banfield

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are amazing. We all struggle day to day with the crap we deal with. New doctors every single day... Managers complaining... Terrible clients. We get 3 free wellness plans but I would never bring my dogs in to see these "doctors"

Cons

If you want to work in retail this is the job for you. The focus should be on pets but that's the last thing on Banfields mind. They want you to sell wellness plans so they can take clients money. They hire doctors who can't handle their job! They sit there and complain about what you do wrong rather than thanking you for help. They be little you as a person. My PM is awesome and I personally feel bad for her taking on such a crappy hospital. Our "field leadership" and "medical director" is a complete JOKE. They pretend to care but honestly they're there to complain about numbers being low. BANFIELD IS A SCAM. Clients know you don't care about them or their pet, they know you just want their money. It sucks for people like myself when taking care of animals is your passion but that gets pushed aside because this company sucks. You'd think this snobby company would spend money on advertising but nope! Not Banfield. They want to add more and more to your list of duties but don't want to give a decent raise. I've worked for Banfield for 2 years and got a .95 raise. HILARIOUS! I can't wait to be done with college and work for a real company! I can see this company go down hill. Can't wait.

Learn to care about your employees. Don't act so snobby! You feel like everyone should worship the ground you walk in. You all do an amazing job at making your employees hate you and hate this company.

Gained valuable skills but daily high stress situations left me unmotivated and burnt out.

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. People who are truly passionate about animals. Leaving this job was only hard because I loved the people I worked with so much.

If you are an animal person who get more than your fair share of working with all sorts of animals, breeds, and ages.

The position I was in helped me gain valuable skills needed to be able to multi-task, deal with stress management, and hone my customer service experience.

Cons

The Wellness Plans that were made up by corporate really do feel like a sham, one that you are expected to sell to every single person that walks through the door, whether it makes sense for that particular person and their pet or not.

Corporate unwilling to pay any OT, therefore by the end of the week on Saturday (our busiest day) staff would be told not to come in or they would go over 40 hours leaving the hospital incredibly short staffed. This created awful experiences for staff and guests alike.

You are not able to leave and go home when the hospital closes if there are still pets to be seen. The policy that all patients that call and want to be seen that day, for whatever reason even if we don't have the time, creates a workload is unrealistic. The hospital closed at 7pm but 75% of the time I would not get to leave until 9pm or later and that was having started at 7am due to a lack of staffing.

Get rid of the Wellness Plans or make them more transparent so people truly understand what they are signing up for. Staff your hospitals correctly. And understand that your employees do have lives outside of work.

There are newer employer reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital