Great Place to Get Experience

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician
Current Employee - Veterinary Technician

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time

Pros

Great place to get experience and good working hours if you're in school as they are open weekends and later in the evenings.

Cons

Corporate doesn't really care about the lower level employees, sometimes we experienced racist remarks or threats from clients and were not allowed to ban those clients. Additionally a manager was hired who had a heavy criminal record against the advice of the staff but was eventually terminated after repeating another crime.

Other Employee Reviews for Banfield Pet Hospital

Love the field, hate the company ideal

Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
    Former Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)

I worked at Banfield Pet Hospital part-time

Pros

It was the first place to ever give me a shot in the animal field. I am grateful for that, and I do love the layout, and animals, and the staff is ok depending which location you're at. I love being able to enroll my own pets for free as an employee, and the pay was great considering. Overall, I really liked it.

Cons

Wellness plan selling. Let me say as a CSC the way they measure our sales percentages is seriously unfair. You can't force people to come in and make an appointment and sign up, all you can do is offer it, but even then it is by chance. Either you get a new client or most of the ones you get that day are already enrolled.

No reason to stay at long-term

Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)
    Current Employee - Client Service Coordinator (CSC)

I have been working at Banfield Pet Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Basically free pet care. Able to learn a LOT. Depending on the hospital location, can get a lot of experience with high volume, which translates nice onto a resume. Company is usually pretty good about time-off requests. They are willing to be flexible with hours if a family emergency comes up. Being in such a close, tight-nit environment, it can be fun coming to work if you get along with your co-workers. The Wellness Plans they offer really are an amazing way to save money for puppies and kittens (glad I know about them for the future!).

Cons

Raises are ridiculous. Employees are just a bunch of sheep to the higher-ups in corporate. We don't have a lot of say in what goes on in our own hospital. We just do what corporate tells us. No real incentive to stay for a long period of time. Raises don't get better the longer you're there and there's not really any opportunity for bonuses or anything. Don't have a good strong training program. Will take years to actually fire someone, even if the entire staff is aware of the problems. There is a lot of drama, both with co-workers at the hospital (mostly women in a small environment with 12 hour shifts) and with corporate. Things can be very hush-hush and we just have to do what corporate says. Banfield states that they will treat your pet like family, but apparently only if your family has enough money. We can never see too many clients, even if that means making people wait hours for an exam, lowering our quality of care, and being downright embarrassed of your place of employment.

Advice to Management

Somehow close the major gap between corporate and hospitals. Increase raises/bonuses with longevity. Somehow make employees feel that they actually matter and aren't just another worker who could easily be replaced.