Bank of America - Voice of a Top Performing Manager

Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Salary and Good Benefits (though the company match has gone down as it relates to healthcare coverage for the year 2013).

Cons

1. Upper management is out of touch with Associates in "front line" roles (specifically, the banking center channel). Due to falling revenue the Bank has had to layoff what they consider non-essential roles, while they seem to be smothering branch leaders and their staff, as well as market leaders ("market" aka district). The company is very routine/process focused, which is not a bad thing, however, it is oftentimes impossible to complete all of the tasks required and get the type of results that keep your job 'secure'. Lastly, and perhaps MOST importantly, I would like to point out: there is a Distinct disconnect and Lack of Opportunity for those who are Top performers in the Consumer and Small Business banking segment of this company. Those thatwork in Charlotte --the headquarters for BOA-- and who are not in the banking center channel, seem to have Many more opportunities than those that get literally "stuck" in theconsumer banking world. You would think that the company would not only take the step of identifying top talent, but after doing so, would take necessary steps to leverage these talented individuals. The Consumer banking channel represents 70% + of the company's profits, yet there doesnt seem to be enough leveraging of individuals from this part of the business when it is time to employ process improvements/update/change/review tools and routines. There are several Departments (and Project teams) that focus on this leg of the business, though these departments Rarely include employees who have come up through the ranks of the consumer 'world' (even though many of them have received advanced degrees and are performing at the highest levels). I say all this to say that you must be careful what part of this Bank you get hired into, because you could be there (not learning or developing) for a very longtime regardless of well you do; it's almost like they want to selfishly keep you held hostage 'because' of how good you are (can't afford to lose you). Recently, there have been Many employees leaving BOA because of some of the above (not scientific, but I know several of them (and they, as was I, were Top Performers). 2. Training and Scheduling: the on the job training is not working. Associates are never fully prepared because there is little to No real quality time for training, especially since operations and the face to face time with customers is necessary to grow the business. You cannot get a gallon of juice from a piece of dried up fruit. Those who are not actively working in branches continue to ask for more: more processes to be completed, more operations to be done, more training, and of course more sales (understood because this is a for-profit corporation). Quite frankly, I and my team were doing well, but I found working for this company to be simply too much of a strain on my personal life and overall health and well-being. 3. Recognition varies depending on the Leadership team. Salary was Great but Money just simply was not enough to make me stay. I got the same pay, with Better training, more support, and a better quality of life at another Financial Institution. 4. Branch Managers: you Own it All so be ready for the task at hand; if you are not truly a General Manager, it will be difficult for you to succeed at BOA.

Advice to Management

1. Don't take top performers for granted. Lastly, take time to recognize your best performers.Take the time to grow their talents, by letting them move into areas of the business where they could be extremely useful; instead of making them feel like they should be grateful just to have a job. These individuals are sought after by other companies. 2. Training: you say it is important, but the actions speak louder than words (you must provide adequate training and training time) 3. You are putting way too much on Branch associates. Those that can do the job will tire out and move on to other companies--they will not want to do this job. Then, at some point the comapny will be left left with more middle-of-the-road and non-performers.

Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America

Overall ive had more positive experiences than negative. 5 years with the company.

Current Employee - Strategic Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Strategic Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedules, monthly reimbursement for childcare(up to $240.00 per child),some good people to establish good relationships.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement depend on rubbing shoulders with the right people instead of relying on good performance. I been fortunate to have great managers but many others cant say the same.

Advice to Management

Get rid of favoritism.

2. Pretty good

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible work hours and location, basically my work program allows you to work from home. Team and management is good

Cons

lack of clear direction of the organization - too many organizational changes - lack to specifics of the role