There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

Not what I hoped for

Former Employee - Technology Developer and Business Analyst  in  Newark, DE
Former Employee - Technology Developer and Business Analyst in Newark, DE

I worked at Bank of America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Interned there as a Technology Developer and Business Analyst in the Newark, DE office. People were nice and I got paid to sit around basically.

Cons

Boring. Boring. Boring. I actually wanted to work and not just sit around. My supervisor didn't give me anything to do till 3 weeks into the internship. I was basically just staring at a computer screen in a cubicle all day. Didn't really get any hands on experience. Sat in on boring conference calls and meetings. Sure the money was great but the living and working experience was horrible. I basically looked at it as just something to put on my resumé.

Let interns have a more hands on experience during the internship. Be a little bit more sociable.

6507 Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America (View Most Recent)

A stagnant work environment led by lazy clueless management.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teller in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many of the lower level branch associates and peers working with me at BOA during my 3 years of employment were very nice and hard-working people. In the ever dwindling staff size per branch, these associates will cover your back and push together until the job gets done.

Cons

The majority of the branch managers are clueless but are very good at dodging responsibilities. They will insincerely compliment hard-working employees from time to time and encourage these individuals to take in more responsibilities with a hint of promotion in the future. This always results in management deciding to downsize branch staff size when the opportunity arises in the near future. Favoritism will be apparent when the hard-working individual is left working like a dog while the manager's favorites are doing less and gets promoted with raises fairly quick. When the entire branch are falling behind on sales goals, the management will point the finger at the lower ranked associates (normally tellers). Workplace morale is ridiculously low and have resulted in an extremely toxic environment market wide in Chicago. Technology and workplace processes are extremely outdated and inefficient compared to systems used by Chase and tends to cause problems for employees.

Many of the branch level management to high level metro market leaders are clueless and tend to focus on ill-constructed market strategies. Save the company money by cutting the excessive levels of management. These dead weight add no value to the company and is the cause of the toxic work environment. Replacing a generously paid market leader with 3 cheaper branch level employees will do wonders for customer satisfaction.

Bank of America - Voice of a Top Performing Manager

Former Employee - Banking Center Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Salary and Good Benefits (though the company match has gone down as it relates to healthcare coverage for the year 2013).

Cons

1. Upper management is out of touch with Associates in "front line" roles (specifically, the banking center channel). Due to falling revenue the Bank has had to layoff what they consider non-essential roles, while they seem to be smothering branch leaders and their staff, as well as market leaders ("market" aka district). The company is very routine/process focused, which is not a bad thing, however, it is oftentimes impossible to complete all of the tasks required and get the type of results that keep your job 'secure'. Lastly, and perhaps MOST importantly, I would like to point out: there is a Distinct disconnect and Lack of Opportunity for those who are Top performers in the Consumer and Small Business banking segment of this company. Those thatwork in Charlotte --the headquarters for BOA-- and who are not in the banking center channel, seem to have Many more opportunities than those that get literally "stuck" in theconsumer banking world. You would think that the company would not only take the step of identifying top talent, but after doing so, would take necessary steps to leverage these talented individuals. The Consumer banking channel represents 70% + of the company's profits, yet there doesnt seem to be enough leveraging of individuals from this part of the business when it is time to employ process improvements/update/change/review tools and routines. There are several Departments (and Project teams) that focus on this leg of the business, though these departments Rarely include employees who have come up through the ranks of the consumer 'world' (even though many of them have received advanced degrees and are performing at the highest levels). I say all this to say that you must be careful what part of this Bank you get hired into, because you could be there (not learning or developing) for a very longtime regardless of well you do; it's almost like they want to selfishly keep you held hostage 'because' of how good you are (can't afford to lose you). Recently, there have been Many employees leaving BOA because of some of the above (not scientific, but I know several of them (and they, as was I, were Top Performers).
    2. Training and Scheduling: the on the job training is not working. Associates are never fully prepared because there is little to No real quality time for training, especially since operations and the face to face time with customers is necessary to grow the business. You cannot get a gallon of juice from a piece of dried up fruit. Those who are not actively working in branches continue to ask for more: more processes to be completed, more operations to be done, more training, and of course more sales (understood because this is a for-profit corporation). Quite frankly, I and my team were doing well, but I found working for this company to be simply too much of a strain on my personal life and overall health and well-being.
    3. Recognition varies depending on the Leadership team. Salary was Great but Money just simply was not enough to make me stay. I got the same pay, with Better training, more support, and a better quality of life at another Financial Institution.
    4. Branch Managers: you Own it All so be ready for the task at hand; if you are not truly a General Manager, it will be difficult for you to succeed at BOA.

1. Don't take top performers for granted. Lastly, take time to recognize your best performers.Take the time to grow their talents, by letting them move into areas of the business where they could be extremely useful; instead of making them feel like they should be grateful just to have a job. These individuals are sought after by other companies.
    2. Training: you say it is important, but the actions speak louder than words (you must provide adequate training and training time)
    3. You are putting way too much on Branch associates. Those that can do the job will tire out and move on to other companies--they will not want to do this job. Then, at some point the comapny will be left left with more middle-of-the-road and non-performers.

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!