Bank of America

www.bankofamerica.com
  www.bankofamerica.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

Great benefits and good hours, but very underappriciated and unloyal to long-time wonderfull employees.

Former Employee - Teller in Independence, MO
Former Employee - Teller in Independence, MO

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

The benefits were wonderfull and the hours for part time were good. You recieve benefits even if you are only working twenty hours a week, such as help with child care and health insurance. I loved the people I worked with and they do give you desent training so you do not go into your job completly lost. If you are bilingual you will have a much better chance of getting hired too, because we a lot of spanish speaking customers. My son got sick just a few weeks after I had started and had to be in the hospital for about a week and they were very understanding.

Cons

They didnt seem to care if the customer was satisfied with you and got good customer service. They cared more about if you offered to open a credit card for them. I dont remember exactly what they called it, but you had to get poeple to open up saving accounts or credit cards and were required to get at least ten closed deals a month. I was a teller making nine dollars an hour and felt my abilities in speedy friendly sevice and knowledge of my job pailed in any comparison to how many closed deals I got for them. We were basically forced to be sales people and that was all that mattered. Im sure if I was bad at customer service I would have been repremanded for it, but I was definately never rewarded or thanked for great customer service as long as I wasnt getting ten closed deals a month. Keep in mind only worked eight days a month. A lot of employees at my location quit due to this and these were employees who had worked for the company for several years. Some had worked there for ten plus years. We also had four different managers in one year.

I would have to say to appriciate what your employees do for you. Reward good customer service and not just sales. It may be part of jobs to help people open accounts, but pushing credit cards and other services on repeat customers will only turn them away in my experience. Loyalty to employees who are loved by customers should be considered and not just how much money your teller is making the bank.

6939 Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America (View Most Recent)

If you don't mind being an underpaid, unknown, tiny cog in a giant machine, work for Bank of America.

Current Employee - Vice President in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

There are no glass ceilings for women. Women hold very high offices in the company. BofA is very supportive of work/life balance and promotes opportunities to work from home and work flexible schedules. (This is not true in the local branch offices where customer service during "store hours" has to be supported)

Cons

TOO big. Employees are truly only numbers. All personnel functions are outsourced so if you have a personal issue that you need to address with the Personnel Dept (such as sick leave, or retirement planning) you cannot talk to a Bank of America employee. You end up talking to an insensitive outsider. Very frustrating, but it's one of the byproducts of growing too big.
    Also, all advancement opportunities are in Charlotte now. To get noticed by the topmost levels of management, you have to live in Charlotte.

Stop focusing on quantity and start improving quality. The continual pursuit of growth by acquisition has weakened the company.

Banks are not technology companies. Bank of America is a bank...

Current Employee - Risk Technology Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Risk Technology Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Big stable company. Decent benefits. Easy going on time off.

Cons

Lots of inertia. You're not going to change anything for the better anytime soon (cause they're too afraid of changing anything for the worse). They claim to promote from within, but I have yet to see it. They're offshoring as fast as they can.

Dumping money into incompetent offshore contractors is not wise. They suck up time from the in house resources. And the concept of an around the clock work day with someone ,somewhere, always working on the project is just a joke. We work here, hand it off at 5 and then through the night _they_ stop at the first the first sign of resistance to ask a question - and do nothing else for the rest of the day. Then we come in the next day and spend time answering their questions, pointing out how the either had the information or all of the information to figure it out already. Then after wasting time from our development day we finally get to work. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's just a bad idea. A few good programmers are better than a large team of clueless developers.

And... it's really really bad to write transactional applications against your data warehouse (teradata).

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America