There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

I enjoyed working for the bank but not so much for my manager.

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation was competitive and the hours, when not in an emergency reactive mode, were fine.

Cons

My manager lacked people skills and tact, which made the job less enjoyable.

Advice to Management

Hire real people managers with actual management skills.

Other Employee Reviews for Bank of America

1. Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Banking Center Manager
    Former Employee - Banking Center Manager

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no Pros that make up for the bad stuff that goes on with this company!

Cons

They under-staff their banking centers which results in poor customer service. Their managers will berate and belittle you, even when you reach your goals it is not considered good enough. This company is the most horrible place I have ever worked at! This company's managers will tell you to do something and then yell at you for doing it. I will never forget their BCCR board and how you get dinged on your audit if it isn't signed, but if you make the employee do their jobs it is considered unethical because they were coerced to sign the board. The customers are always angry at the way BOA treats them, and the company sends out customer satisfaction calls that really have nothing to do with the service of the employee, but on the company as a whole. The employee will be judged based off of this survey that really does not represent their work ethics. As a whole, if you are thinking about working for this company I wouldn't suggest it. So many good employees have been screwed by this company! Not only that, but I know several people who have had to go on FMLA because of the stress this company places on its employees!

Advice to Management

When you constantly up the ante of your employee's goals, it causes a negative impact. Every single time an employee reached a goal, you sent out recognition and then asked them why they were not doing more. You ruin people's lives doing this! You have to let people succeed in their job as it will give them more incentive to do well. Also, I would watch your middle management as I know for a fact they tell their bank managers to do unethical things to pass audits and get their scores up.

2. Absence of Professionalism on a Grand Scale

Former Employee - Policy Writer in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Policy Writer in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very well paying, if not, overpaid position. Great cafeteria.

Cons

The company is top heavy, populated by many experienced executives who are unusually devoid of professionalism and the ability to effectively and competently manage their assigned departments. Like many mammoth corporations, Bank of America has managers who live thousands of miles away from the departments they oversee. The department I temporarily worked for had several employees who were being paid in excess of $50 an hour but who had little idea of what they were doing. Luckily, several had "friends" in management which ensured their continued employment. The manager who I worked under, had her office in Canoga Park, California. Though she had an amazing vocabulary and an impressive resume, she was incapable of providing guidance, responding to concerns, implementing training, and comprehending information sent to her in writing. And though it was evident to many employees that she was ill-fitted to oversee staff (clearly did not possess people skills), her superiors seemed incapable of exacting corrective measures.

Advice to Management

When choosing to hire someone to fill an executive level, how about considering their knowledge and their ability to work in a manner that is conducive to the creation of an environment that fosters staff development and efficiency in business. Also, listen to what employees have to say and if you note that a manager is not performing well or behaving in a manner that is inappropriate or counter-productive, then address and resolve those issues.