There are newer employer reviews for Bank of America

Working with Bank of America is a great experience and I my knowledge I learned is transferrable.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Personal Banker in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Reasons I love to work there are: 1. 401k and pension 2. Diversity 3. Tuition Reimbursement 4. Can easily transfer to a different locations 5. Used to have a great bonuses 6. Training, training 7. Support System

Cons

With one customer complaint and I dont have a major history of any complaints, My immediate let me go even though she has the knowledge of my work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Things are looking up

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Great place to people, Good work and personal life balance Open Communication channels Some really smart people to work with Stability

Cons

Merger with Countrywide and Merrill has resulted in 3 different cultures and if you have to work across them things can be difficult. To many changes in organization due to constant mergers Too much Government pressure inside making some jobs extremely difficult.

Advice to Management

Please find a stable organization structure and stick with it.

An unsatisfying work experience

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Benefits - Good health care coverage at a reasonable price, tuition reimbursement (if you can get approval to attend classes and it's related to the banking business), assistance for child care costs, minimum 80 hours vaca and 80 sick time (2 days can be used as personal time).

Cons

Little room to advance - most moves are lateral. When hired I was told they were looking for a small % of college grads to fill this job to possibly move into management in approx. 6 months. It's been two years and not one of the college grads in the department has been considered for advancement, only lateral moves to other "phone" jobs. Management is not knowledgeable about the departments they manage and managers are switched out constantly. Most managers in my department have never worked the job, therefore they are unable to provide support when needed. They seem to be there only to ensure you are adhering to your schedule and enforce policies. I have had 5 managers in 2 years. By time one catches up with my reviews they get replaced by someone else. In the case of phone based jobs - you are literally tied to a desk. You may not leave the phone without manager approval or scheduled times (which may be up to 4 hours apart). No off-phone time to review email communications (policy changes, etc.), so it can be difficult to keep abreast of important information. Nearly zero interaction with anyone face-to-face. No flexibility in scheduling and most schedules are late morning to evening and included weekend days, meaning it's nearly impossible to further education. Incentive is paid for above expectations performers, but failure to reach incentive goals results in reprimand. Those who perform as 'average" should be coached and encouraged rather than punished by poor reviews. Those who don't excel in all areas aren't recognized for their hard work. Sick time computation (which may vary by department) is complicated and difficult to adhere to. You are given 80 hours per year sick time, but each absence is an "occurrence". Occurrences are computing on a 12 month rolling calendar and at your 5th occurrence you are on "warning", therefore you can have plenty of hours of sick time available this year, but be unable to use it without reprimand because of an absence last year. For people with kids or who had a period of medical issue in the past, this can lead to a perpetual cycle of being reprimanded for each absence (up to threat of termination), even when those absences are few and far between at that point. Stress levels are high, incredibly so considering the job is phone based. The problem is not the customers (they can be rather frustrating, but not the primary source of stress). The stress comes from all the things listed above. Between the crazy sick-time policy and the stress, half of my dozen person team is currently on med leave. This seems to be an issue department wide, so either the bank is hiring nothing but sickly people, or they need to examine their environment.