Vp

Former Employee - Vice President  in  San Ramon, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

BoW has great benefits that are affordable.
BoW does internal training for advancement and career development

Cons

BoW is owned by BNP Paribas and must have a specific profit to BNP requirements to remain a profitable investment.
If the profits are not achieved they freeze raises and hiring to get the $ to France.
Bonus selection is a joke

Other Reviews for Bank of the West

A better alternative for second career

Former Employee - Insurance Specialist  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Specialist in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company is backed up by a good mother company.

Cons

Not a good place to make a lot of money.

Promote deserving rank and file employees rather than giving them quarterly gift certificates.

Former CSR & ACSM - A Nightmarish Work Environment

Former Employee - ACSM  in  Morgan Hill, CA
    Former Employee - ACSM in Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It all depends upon who you work with, and lucky for BOW quite a few branches have some outstanding people working for the company ( the trouble is keeping them, but I'll mention that further down below). Also, the paid holidays are frequent, but that should be fairly typically as being associated with FDIC all banks follow the same schedule for federally recognized holidays.

Cons

Where to begin....

1. Pay is very low, below what is standard in the industry. Working as an Assistant Customer Service Manager, I was making a whole $1.25 per hour more than I was as a teller! Abysmally low pay, quite insulting really.
    2. I transferred to another branch for the ACSM position without checking the branch for turnover rate. It is extremely high in Morgan Hill, which leads to item 3...
    3. Very poor office environment. The branch manager at the time was incredibly under-qualified and poorly skilled at leading a team. This individual would micro manage others' work (including mine) yet paid no attention to her own. There were days where she would literally sit next to me and watch everything I did, though I didn't do anything to warrant this! Imagine trying to work in that kind of uncomfortable position, you simply can't!!!!!
    4. The regional manager who hired this branch manager has been with BOW for many years, and yet I couldn't believe how or why he would have approved this person as a BOW employee. He also forced a hire of his son's girlfriend as a teller, very poor business practice as she was unqualified. At times the RM was rude and obnoxious making for a very unpleasant exchange during conversations. Luckily interaction with him was limited
    5. Very archaic and poor IT system, I think we were still running Windows ME while XP was the standard and had been for many years. Hell, I didn't even have my own computer! Can you imagine trying to be in a leadership position without having the proper tools to do so? Ridiculously, I was later told that the bank couldn't find the resources to implement another desktop. This was in reference to a very underpowered Dell with matching CRT, a dinosaur back then!
    6. I was with the company for more than 5 years, and as a seasoned employee the company would offer free gifts as a sign of appreciation for every 5 years of employment. For my 5th year anniversary, I was offered a sleeping bag or a water bottle....
    Bonuses were also few and far between, and the most I could expect was a $10 money order for "a job well done". Adding insult to injury when the pay is already low
    7. High expectations to provide excellent customer service with a skeleton crew. Nearly impossible with so much work and such a high turnover.

I can go on for days about how much I hated, absolutely hated my job at Bank of the West. As a CSR, I felt very under appreciated by my manager, leading me to jump from the pan into the fire as an ACSM at Morgan Hill. I could never in my wildest dreams imagine such a poor working environment as I experienced. I did make some very good friends along the way which I will always value, but overall, this company and a good majority of the upper management are horrendous at keeping and nurturing talented people. Too bad, because in the end it's the relationships that fosters loyalty.

Completely overhaul IT and middle to upper management. Perhaps train execs with appropriate people skills

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of the West.

Worked for Bank of the West? Contribute to the Community!