Bank of the West

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of the West

I Love My Job

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are rewarded for your success. They provide plenty of room for growth. Great work/life balance. People recognize you when you work hard, even if sales are down, they understand that is the nature of the business, then we work on how to better ourselves.

Cons

I felt like my tuition reimbursement was not handled properly. It is hard to complain about a company giving you money for school. I just feel like it could have been handled better.

Keep up the good work. I feel like some of the "little" people that out-perform others are not rewarded as much as they should be (regarding pay). The values management portrays are directly in line with the company and that is what drives our business. People love good customer services. I hope that as this bank grows we are able to still provide the "small bank feel"

232 Other Employee Reviews for Bank of the West (View Most Recent)

Bad management. Do not reward the rank and file.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

reasonable work life balance. Nothing else.

Cons

No career prospect. Don't expect your contribution to be appreciated if you are not in the inner circle or if you do not BS. Layers and layers of unnecessary management. A lot of people do not deserve to be in the management level.

REDUCE GREATLY the number of management layer. Have 360 degree feedback. Treat the people who do the actual work with more respect and rewards. The Bank really does not need so many talking managers.

Bank of the Worst

Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary; no other reason to work here.

Cons

Tedious paperwork, micromanagement, SEE BELOW

Bank of the West may seem like a great place to work from an outside perspective, but unfortunately it is so dulled with micromanagement and a lack of technology that there is no growth or enjoyment that comes from working there. If you want to get good at paperwork, this job is for you!

First off, the company is unbelievably cheap. Constantly looking for ways to save money at the expense of not supplying employees with necessary tools for the job. I've been declined reimbursements a multiple times. I've seen the balance sheets; they are just cheap.

I receive 20+ emails a day from my bosses' bosses' boss that are send out to her entire division regarding updated goals for the employees. Get organized!!! My goals and expectations change on the daily and the whim of al division manager.

They say "activity based management", NO; that is micromanagement. You'll spend the whole day looking at all the reports you need to complete and putting appointments in the computer twice. In fact, you have to fill out every form in paper and then input it in the system as well (which is behind in technology).

Incentive plans are terrible. Bank of the West boasts how they are uncapped. There is a cap on each type of account...You are asked daily to open accounts constantly that have no benefit to your incentive plan.

Additionally our incentive plans didn't come out till the end of February. THE QUARTER ENDS IN 30 days. It's already too late to get credit for deposits! When I asked the incentive department, they retorted that just because the plans aren't out doesn't mean you should stop working. No!, really?!, 1) Learn to speak English. 2) if you are going to work in an "incentive department", you should probably know what the word "incentive" means.

AREA MANAGERS / DIVISION MANAGERS / REGIONAL MANAGERS AND ALL OTHER HIGHER UP POSITIONS:

You are completely illiterate to what the future of management is. You are not "inspiring coaches", you are just micromanagers and letting the sh*t roll down hill.

Read some articles on bettering yourselves instead of blaming everyone else. Results based management would be a good start. Let your employees be creative in their efforts to win business; you would see a large increase in sales.

Maybe it's the fact everyone has worked here for 20 years and is still acting like this company is in the 1990s.

I am not proud of working here and do not advocate any of the products or services because of this terrible, outdated and ineffective work culture.

My hope is that BNP Paribas cleans house.

I'm seeking a career in a company that doesn't lack pragmatism and has its sh*t together.

There are newer employer reviews for Bank of the West