Bankers Life

You reap what you sow.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Brentwood, TN
Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Friendly work environment. Management communicates thoroughly. Go over changes everyday over new or old material. Can be promoted to management if your good at it.

Cons

A lot of product material to go over. If you never worked on commission before its a an eye opener because you can go broke quick. Once you quit, friends you thought you had, stop communicating with you.

Good at communicating with employees but its very difficult trying to get a hold of them outside of the office.

393 Other Employee Reviews for Bankers Life (View Most Recent)

Be prepared to call 2,000 people a week and maybe get no money out of it.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

1. If you are established and been there for a while you have the possibility to make good money.
    2. They have wonderful products that really help people.

Cons

1. You need to have at least 3 or 4 months worth of money to live off of while you are getting started.
    2. Be prepared to work 70 hours a week for your first month and not make a dime.
    3. They take the first $100 and office fees from your first commission payment if you are lucky to get one.
    4. Most of the employees are cut throat.

Most agents aren't trying to get rich. They just want to make a living. Had I at least gained $250 a week, that would have been enough to carry me over the hump until I actually started making money from commissions. It is really hard to phone power and make good appointments when you really don't care because you are so worried about your bills and how they will get paid.

Not the most honest company in the world

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

There are great opportunities to make very good money. The newer agents that have not been overcome by competition factor and have not expanded their moral boundaries are decent people.

Cons

My experience with Bankers Life is limited to the Sarasota complex 2025. The comment in the “pros” section is true, but the steps to make money is limited to only a very few people. The turnover rate at bankers is over 90%, which translated - out of every 10 new agents only 1 agents will remain with the company for period longer than 3 months. The odds are very slim that someone who enters Bankers with high hopes will make good money, or any money at all.

What they don’t tell you.

1. A new agent will need at least 6 months of saved income to support themselves until they get through their training period where they can start making income that is not shared with senior agents.

2. You will have to cold call leads that are outdated and angry. Or you can buy leads, and they are not cheap (the route I took). To be a good cold caller, you have to become someone you once hated and hung up on.

3. If you do make a few dollars, and then decide that you cannot make it (remember the 90%), be prepared to pay some or most of that money back because people do cancel their accounts. What keeps agents above water is the relentless signing of new accounts. Many are stuck because of this.

4. I left after 4 months with an estimated commissions owed to me of over 3000. I only received 57% of the total before I resigned. With the threat of damaging my credit rating I was forced to pay back 74% of the 57% I received because of canceled or lapsed accounts in the short period of a few months. I never received the other 43% owed to me because I resigned. All this was while I was under a trainer and I had not control over the information given to these poor people.

5. To make money at Bankers (Sarasota) you have to expand your moral boundaries. You will be trained to tell little-white-lies to our senior citizens (nicknamed – telling the truth to your advantage). Remember, many of these people can barely pay rent and buy food, and now they are faced with another burden of insurance, and in many cases a policy they do not need or can afford. Just think you can be part of this!

Purge your management staff with some good honest hard working folks.

There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life