Bankers Life

There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life

Excellent Training, Hard Work Pays Off

Current Employee - Insurance Agent 1099 in Carol Stream, IL
Current Employee - Insurance Agent 1099 in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

* Make Your Own Schedule
* Your effort determines your salary

I see a lot of people flaming here about how hard this CAREER is. While I won't deny by any means that it's not for everyone, if you have a desire to be in sales and have a solid work ethic, the sky is truly the limit with this company. I see many people complaining about the quality of leads, if you don't like them, buy your own. I also see people saying they take 10% out of your paycheck to buy leads which is false. 10% of your first $10,000 in commission is withheld in case of cancellations and is refunded to you after your 2nd year with the company...It's $1000 people, get over it.

I've been with Bankers for a whopping 2 months and it's hands down the best career decision I've ever made. My first month was brutal, as is most everyone's, after that I went out on my own and have sold 14 policies in 30 days to the tune of $5000 in commission. It's not hard, you just have to know how to work the process they train you for, and obviously, the more effort you put in, the more attention you get from management = the higher your chance of success.

Cons

* Overlapping Leads
* Some confusion in training (my office was only 6 months old though)

In regards to people complaining about the leads, like really people? Of course there is overlap, of course the leads aren't all good. They are providing them to you @ no cost (at least in my office). Feel free to go buy your own. This is a career choice, not a job, that was made very very very clear to me in my first briefing but seems to be something everyone else missed. If you don't like the leads, get your own via referrals (how you really make money in any sales position anyways) or gtfo.

Perhaps glorifying the career a little less and making sure people understand the work involved (Was made clear to me but not everyone it seems).

414 Other Employee Reviews for Bankers Life (View Most Recent)

Great work environment and compensation! "Time consumption" is an understatement though...

Former Contractor - Insurance Agent 1099 in Tulsa, OK
    Former Contractor - Insurance Agent 1099 in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Bankers Life as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The pay-potential is limitless. The managers were excellent and very personable. They encourage networking and a happy work environment at all times. The costs were relatively minimal (from what I understand) to get started with this company.

Cons

This is a sales job. So, it's stressful and time consuming. I wouldn't recommend this job for young guns, because it seems easier to learn about insurance products if you've actually seen the application of an life insurance product first-hand. I'm 25, so it was difficult for me to believe in the processes without ever having noticed them myself. Without operating at the level of belief in a product; it's difficult to sell.

I have never been a manager. I have no advice.

Boring life and Causalty

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Calverton, MD
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Calverton, MD

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My direct supervisor was really helpful,also a very nice.Also fellow employees were. also very personable. I also really enjoyed meeting with clients.

Cons

Job was 100% commission leads were paid for by employees and were almost worthless Lots of charge backs. Upper management was terrible and not helpful at all. You got paid for sales but no yearly residual. .

Get leads that are useful and not rehashed several times. Management should more engaged with agents. Upgrade better training on all products.Geneallyy be nicer to agents.

There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life