Bankers Life

www.bankerslife.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life

I enjoyed my work experience with Bankers

Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Insurance Sales in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As this was my first experience with insurance sales, I spent my first week in Banker's training school that gave me a good overall of what they expected of an new agent and how to reach those goals. They paired me with a well qualified field trainer who was very pleasant to work with.

Cons

The office was a 2 hour drive from my house, in which I was expected to be in the office 2-1/2 days a week, though my actual sales territory was in the area where I lived. Training period was too short for people with no or little sales experience. Commission based pay only.

I did like the gas cards, lunches, and other perks given as incentives for achieving sales goals.

391 Other Employee Reviews for Bankers Life (View Most Recent)

Treat this job as a college class in insurance

Former Employee - Insurance Producer in University Place, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Producer in University Place, WA

I worked at Bankers Life as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Training was excellent on sales and "how to use the phone" to become your best asset. Meetings were wonderful and branch managers provided ample amounts of encouragement. Company sponsored events were a plus.

Cons

Harassing seniors early in the morning to purchase insurance was not my cup of tea. So much effort was put in to getting policies. Most policies don't stick and the money Bankers Life and Casualty pays you as an agent has to get paid back. I stuck around for 3 months and lost more money than I was paid. The cost of gas, eating out, getting a tax professional for 1099 assistance, and the hours worked just did not make any sense for the pay I received.

Solid but unfocused

Former Employee - New Business in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - New Business in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid (if not dazzling) compensation, convenient location for office (Chicago is one of the 'home offices'), open in some areas to flex work or telecommuting, individual managers can be very good leaders, possibilities for internal promotions.

Cons

Like any insurance company that's been through mergers, or has launched/stopped multiple product lines, it's a "Frankencompany" with many arms but little focus. Manager and supervisor happens at a breakneck speed. Few initiatives to cross-train people, so new managers with no idea of process lead people who have been doing the same task (and have no idea of how anything else in their department, let along company, works) for 10, 20 or even 30 years. Project management and testing, especially as it relates to IT, doesn't seem to exist. Definitely, as someone else said, a place for middle aged white guys. Few people of color in management positions, few other signs of diversity (no women or LGBT people in key leadership roles).

Find people who will lead the company into the 21st century. Don't manage Philadelphia and Chicago offices as if you're in Carmel, IN - recognize diversity and promote it. Start simplifying your systems and product offerings.

There are newer employer reviews for Bankers Life