There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health

banner health is a solid company

Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

great benefits, supportive staff, and time off

Cons

managed care, patient care constraints

Advice to Management

make more one on one contact with employees to get a pulse of the people

reviews filtered by

They ain't what they used to be!

Former Employee - Middle Management Role
    Former Employee - Middle Management Role

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Banner Health was a great place to work prior to the last several years. During that time, I was afforded the opportunity to grow and transfered several times within the corporate structure. I was given a lot of opportunity to grow and learn new things and for that I am thankful. However, when I first joined years ago, the company was much kinder to employee, likely to a fault, but none the less, it was a kinder place. That, coupled with a strong executive leadership team, made Banner a great place to work. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

Advice for those considering joining Banner Health: Your immediate leader is the most important person and will set the tone for the department. You can do very well in Banner if you have the right leader.

Cons

The company puts a lot of effort on employee engagement by asking leaders to communicate scripted talking points. However, they don't seem to understand that employees not only need to understand what is happening but also need to be appreciated and valued. Employees are no longer valued at Banner. This change, in my opinion, is due to a couple things. First, heatlhcare is changing as an industry very quickly and Banner tries too respond quickly. By running through the corporate restructuring and not including or reviewing plans with some of the key players, they are often left standing in a huge mess. Second, the HR organization is extremely weak. HR leadership has plans to strengthen the skills but continually makes excuses as to why they are not ready to do so. This has been the case for years. HR does not stand up to leadership when they are doing the wrong thing, advising them to correct behaviors. And who loses? Well, everyone except the faulty leaders that are left. Banner had lost some of its strongest employees (both leaders and professionals) over the past 2 or so years. Many have gone to competitors, while others have been eliminated via restructuring. The company believes they are doing the right thing, yet, they are very short sighted and many of the newer leaders have no clue as to what it takes to lead and motivate people. The speed of the work has been increased and staff has been decreased.

Advice to Management

1) Fix HR by starting at the very top. Improve the skills and make them partners versus "yes" men. 2) Look at turnover within some of your key departments and ask the questions as to why people are leaving. There are some key departments where turnover has been over 100% in the last year or so. 3) Understand that you do not improve the quality of your leaders by simply sending them to a class. Banner received an award for coaching and they gloated about it. However, that coaching award was for the executive leadership teams and did nothing for the thousands of other leaders within the organization. First line supervisors need mentoring and coaching. Only a handful of lucky ones get it if their leader cares about them as a person. Otherwise, they are left to the dogs. 4) Slow down and think before you reorganize. Trying to achieve savings by restructuring will result in bigger losses due to decreased productivity, lack of employee engagement and residual turnover (those who don't want to stay in the new organization). Reducing costs is important but the way you implement these changes is equally or perhaps more important.

One bad manager = Good luck ever working for Banner again

I worked at Banner Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with great interdisciplinary team and Banner supported evidence-based practice and the best for it's patients

Cons

My manager was allowing unethical behavior. I followed the chain of command, and I went to her first. She denied the indiscretion and accused me of not liking the offending party. She then had me brought to the director. The director had no clinical knowledge, and trusting his manager, supported her. Yet, policies changed the same week. I went from getting employee of the month for the dept and for the hospital and having a great personal file for several years to getting written up for any and everything imaginable for several months. The manager even scolded me by phone after sitting next to me in my office for over an hour. I told HR of my concerns at my exit interview, but Banner HR protects Banner, not the employee. What this manager did to me, I saw a pattern from what she did to a previous employee. I only wish I had seen it the first time. I can't help that employee now. She brought in a lawyer and settled. How is this Banner Health's fault? HR should have cleaned up this manager's mess.

Advice to Management

Look at the whole picture, all the way back to the beginning. Rather than covering up to avoid looking bad when a manager does something wrong, own it, make it right, and move on. You'll keep good employees and get rid of unethical managers.