There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health

Things have changed drastically

Former Employee - RN Manager
Former Employee - RN Manager

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Patient care results are great, IT systems are solid, opportunities for advancement and movement within the company.

Cons

We used to be about doing the right thing for patients. That's what drove the company. No more. Since mid-2012, it's been about "optimization" without any actual optimization of broken processes and removal of red tape in this large corp. It has gotten worse overall and the optimization was more about cutting resources, service lines and staff in order to save big $$$ and move to an accountable care org (good idea); but in the process top leadership has FORGOTTEN what got Banner the good clinical reputation it had in the first place...front line staff providing excellent care based upon sound clinical practice. We are all no replaceable parts that are looked at as an expense instead of an asset.

Remember how you got to prominence in the industry. Remember that the front line staff are the heart and soul of the organization.

223 Other Employee Reviews for Banner Health (View Most Recent)

An overall good experience that I would recommend to a friend.

Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Medical Laboratory Technician in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Banner Health overall is a great place to work for. They have great Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits. Management is very approachable. I think highly of my manager in particular. Since it is such a large company, your job feels secure and there is always room to move up the career ladder.

Cons

Banner Health has a strong corporate mentality. If you are one minute late (six minutes past the clock-in time) you are considered tardy. I have seen quite a few people fired for being tardy too many times. You are also not rewarded for how hard you work, only that you keep your errors low.

Allow for a more human way of deciding attendance. Figure errors not only per employee, but per number of tests performed. That way management will know which employees are getting the most work done and can really see who is doing the lowest percent of errors.

Money may bring them in, we'll see what you do with them.

Former Employee - Surgical RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Surgical RN in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Given that Banner is the 2nd largest employer here, there is a chance for mobility---unless your boss quashes it.

Cons

Top heavy management layers, micro management, disconnect between mission statement and reality, non-competitive salaries for nurses and techs in surgery.

Making $10,000 sign on bonuses for surgery RNs is testimony to how poisonious you've made that department. If you're not sure of the veracity of that statement, just take a peek at the turnover rate for the last 2 years. You may bring them in with that amount of money, but If you continue to treat them like unruly children in need of punishment, you won't be able to retain them. Until you rid the main OR of those in charge who are disdainful of their staff and lack empathy, it will be hard to build a cohesive, resonant team. You still have some really excellent, hard working people left, what are you doing for them? Ask them what they need, listen and act on what they tell you. That's the only way to really re-create trust, and a more workable atmosphere.

There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health