Banner Health

www.bannerhealth.com
There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health

Great potential, but losing focus!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Glendale, AZ
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

This company as a whole has such potential to grow into the most desirable healthcare systems. Progrssive, visionary company. Good Benefits. Opportunites for growth.

Cons

With all the new construction, difficult to navagate around facility. There is too much focus on providing a "Spa- like experience" (other than OB) for patients rather than sticking to the business at hand, acute care.

During this difficult economy, Banner is missing the opportunity to groom a loyal core work force by not highly valuing its emplyees. The tenor seems to be "it could be worse, your lucky to have a job these days", this approach devalues individual contributions (and a comany is only as good as it's employees, since their work is Banner's face in the community) and sets the company up for a mass exodus when the economy turns around. Remeber the "the guilded cage". Management means leadership, working for/serving their employee's, in turn we employees work for and serve our patients, in turn satified patients come back and make referals, keeping that positive energy (and profits) flowing.

239 Other Employee Reviews for Banner Health (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health

Pros

Banner has a wide array of opportunities, especially in Arizona. Pay is reasonably good from what I know and the benefits are very comprehensive.

Cons

The only cons I found were related to the organization being made up of and managed by a great majority of women. Sometimes this lead to an imbalanced culture which was uncomfortable for men.

Leadership at Banner should take a good look at the culture and its female bias. The organization would be stronger and a better place to work if it mitigated this imbalance.

Not Quite What I Expected From Such a Large Company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

Employee Benefits are pretty decent and there is good opportunity for education. Other than those two items, there is not much else to say about working for banner health.

Cons

If you like being treated with no respect, then Banner is definitely the place to work. The current trend coming down from management is that of customer service and satisfaction. But the philosophy from management has been to devalue its employees and the work that they do. Senior management\Leadership does not have the background in the customer service industry to balance employee appreciation and customer satisfaction. I have read most of the reviews listed on this website and for the most part, they are fairly accurate in all their assessments. In my opinion, one of the biggest indications is the quantity of job openings still available for registered nurses at a time when the economy is bad and jobs are at a premium. In my department, we are experiencing a fair amount of employee turnover. It would appear that, whatever money they are saving by eliminating all the employee benefits and perks that originally made banner a good place to work, they are reinvesting that money into training new employees. They haven't got it in employee retention, especially in the customer service environment, has a significant impact on the level of patient care and satisfaction.

An example of management's poor leadership is as follows. In the same week that nursing was told about the reduction in benefits, overtime and 2% annual pay raises, there was an article in the local paper about the opening of Banners new $90 million Cancer Center opening in Chandler. even with a minimal amount of critical thinking, one can deduce that banner had the capability of Not cutting employee benefits, that they were using the economy as a ploy to further their own gains and expand the Banner Empire at the costs of its current workforce. There is definitely a trend that is being handed down from executive management that includes manipulation of its workforce and a total disregard for the employees that are directly responsible for our clients and for customer satisfaction. But the executive management is not likely to be replaced until the time that investors in those individuals with secondary interests in Banner Health begin to see a decline in revenue.

I work in multiple departments and the one factor consistent is that there is no loyalty to banner from its employees. If senior management were to open their eyes and actually get in touch with the employee, perhaps they would understand and begin to make a change. I just do not think this will occur in the near future.

You are so focused on expanding the Banner Empire you have completely lost touch with those who are helping you get there.

There are newer employer reviews for Banner Health