Barclays

www.barclays.com

Summer Intern - Client Coverage (Corporate Bank)

Client Coverage Intern (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat culture: Everyone is very willing to help and network with you. The projects I have been asked to do are both interesting and, I believe, of relative value to the firm. You aren't just asked to menial work, the opportunity to learn certainly exists. Though I will caveat that by saying the internship is what you make of it. If you are willing to ask for more challenging work, it will come.

The work-life balance is very good. If you are interested in getting into banking but at the same time are concerned about early starts and late nights, the corporate side may be for you. Its much more of a "stay if you need to" type atmosphere; you'll be expected to do the work to a high quality, but provided that you are doing so, you have relative autonomy over the hours that you need to spend in the office. Though as an intern it would be advisable not to get in at nine and leave at five every day.

The full time staff are also of a very high quality, and its possible to learn a lot from them

In my experience the culture change at Barclays is not just lip service. The staff here take it very seriously and are committed to changing the perception of Barclays, but also are actively motivated to undertake charitable commitments.

ConsThe salary is not great (internship and grad scheme); it seems to pay below market rates.

From what I understand the four areas of Barclays are still very sectioned. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of opportunity to move to other areas of the bank (investment/wealth/retail). Definitely not on the graduate scheme, though it seems rare in wider employment also.

good place to work and start off career as there are lots of areas to learn from.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Pros: lots of changes and development work going on, so plenty… Cons: quite hierarchical, so could be frustrating at times. working hours… Advice to Senior Management: could introduce more horizontal management techniques such as agile project… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was a great learning experience

Technology Intern (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Treat interns with respect. Give real, challenging work. One… Cons: Tough work environment. Stressful and rigorous work. Stay only if… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Barclays.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!