Barclays

www.barclays.com
  www.barclays.com
There are newer employer reviews for Barclays

Summer Intern - Client Coverage (Corporate Bank)

Current Employee - Client Coverage Intern in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Client Coverage Intern in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture: Everyone is very willing to help and network with you. The projects I have been asked to do are both interesting and, I believe, of relative value to the firm. You aren't just asked to menial work, the opportunity to learn certainly exists. Though I will caveat that by saying the internship is what you make of it. If you are willing to ask for more challenging work, it will come.

The work-life balance is very good. If you are interested in getting into banking but at the same time are concerned about early starts and late nights, the corporate side may be for you. Its much more of a "stay if you need to" type atmosphere; you'll be expected to do the work to a high quality, but provided that you are doing so, you have relative autonomy over the hours that you need to spend in the office. Though as an intern it would be advisable not to get in at nine and leave at five every day.

The full time staff are also of a very high quality, and its possible to learn a lot from them

In my experience the culture change at Barclays is not just lip service. The staff here take it very seriously and are committed to changing the perception of Barclays, but also are actively motivated to undertake charitable commitments.

Cons

The salary is not great (internship and grad scheme); it seems to pay below market rates.

From what I understand the four areas of Barclays are still very sectioned. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of opportunity to move to other areas of the bank (investment/wealth/retail). Definitely not on the graduate scheme, though it seems rare in wider employment also.

623 Other Employee Reviews for Barclays (View Most Recent)

good place to work and start off career as there are lots of areas to learn from.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than an year)

Pros

lots of changes and development work going on, so plenty of chance to work on different areas of the business.

Cons

quite hierarchical, so could be frustrating at times. working hours could be long or after 6pm since supporting business in europe/uk

could introduce more horizontal management techniques such as agile project management to help reduce the hierarchy structure and increase project efficiency.

It was a great learning experience

Former Employee - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Treat interns with respect. Give real, challenging work. One of the better employers in the industry

Cons

Tough work environment. Stressful and rigorous work. Stay only if IB suits you.

There are newer employer reviews for Barclays