Barclays

www.barclays.com
  www.barclays.com
There are newer employer reviews for Barclays

It was a great learning experience

Former Employee - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
Former Employee - Technology Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Treat interns with respect. Give real, challenging work. One of the better employers in the industry

Cons

Tough work environment. Stressful and rigorous work. Stay only if IB suits you.

607 Other Employee Reviews for Barclays (View Most Recent)

Analytics leadership was all about "the popular kids" who already knew eachother

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Northampton, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Northampton, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Barclaycard was a company looking to improve and change all the time by introducing technology such as Contactless payments and customer benefit programs such as Freedom. It meant there was regularly something new to work on.

Cons

The leadership in analytics was very much about a group of people who had worked together in another company before and who continued to just favor eachother and not really introduce much new people to the leadership. Promised promotions and salary increased were rarely fulfilled and performance reviews were very un-transparent and vague.

Introduce more varied people in the management team to get new ideas instead of a continued narrow focus from management who are more interested in powerpoint templates, than getting the job done.

Blocked from progress because of race

Current Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good on your CV
    Work life balance is fine in my area

Cons

Currently short-staffed. For the past month 2 of us doing what 5 people normally did. There have been instances where I have been the only person on the desk.
    There is still a glass ceiling for blacks. People get blocked multiple times from promotions..not even allowed to interview, or have to watch less talented relatives of long-serving staff members move up above them.
    Pay is very low in my area of corporate banking compared to the market...cases where people on graduate programme getting almost double what people with 20 yrs experience who train them get.
    Bullying culture is allowed to thrive by a network of lifers determined to slow the progress of those around them in line with their whims and fancies. They have contacts everywhere (HR are not confidential) so you either have to make your mind up to go to tribunal or straight to the top, threatening publicity. I have seen at least a dozen people bullied out of the business in my time here.

If you are really serious about changing the culture tackle the bullying and targetting still prevalent in the corporate bank.

There are newer employer reviews for Barclays