Bare Escentuals
www.bareescentuals.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

This could be a great job. COULD.

Beauty Ambassador (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay for retail
Excellent discount
Nice product
Gratis
The clientele, sometimes. It's really nice when you actually make a difference in a woman's day.

ConsFirst of all, this is a company full of women so there is going to be a lot of two-facedness and cattiness. Sorry ladies, someone has to say it. (Yes, I'm a woman)

Management is THE number 1 issue in this company - from the boutique level to the regional level. Management in this company is a serious issue. Every boutique manager is absolutely terrified of their district manager who is in turn terrified of their regional manager, and I'm sure it goes right along the line. There is absolutely no job security here. You never know when you go to work if you'll be fired for something ridiculous.

Shady managers - they'll change your sales goal if you are doing well that day.

Can we say favoritism? I have personally seen managers favor employees who do better than others with their numbers, while they have those good numbers. I have personally seen managers single out employees who contradict them or threaten them in some ridiculous way. I have personally seen managers bully key-holders until they 1) stop producing the numbers they want and are systematically demoted or fired 2) end up quitting because they can't handle the stress.

Can we say unorganized? Managers [ease learn how to make a schedule. Why do you bother asking for availability when you just ignore it? Also, please stop it with the 3 hour shifts. Such a waste of time.

Can we say contradicting? From boutique level management that makes up rules as they go to try to "control" the employees, (never mind we all have employee handbooks on site and don't you dare try to show your manager where they are wrong), to corporate level big-wigs contradicting their every statement. You're pushed and pushed and pushed to sell the product and make your sales, all the while you are screwed over by the mother ship with their coupons and free product with no purchase necessary every other week. And all of this goes against each employees numbers.

There is NO work-life balance. You are expected to give your entire life to this company. Got a sick kid? Tough. Got a case of the flu so you got a doctor's note? Ha! They don't take doctor's notes. Car breaks down? Better find yourself a ride to work or better yet, walk your butt there. This job is not for single mothers or people who put family first. It is company first, or you get nowhere and/or fired for nothing. I've seen it happen.

Absolutely unrealistic sales goals (that have goals within that goal) that can get you FIRED if you don't make.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs an overhaul of their regional, district and boutique level managers. Management, please realize that your employees are not just product-pushing-number-making-machines, they are people.

Think about reinstating the grace period, especially around the holidays.

Stop sending out coupons that require no minimum purchase or free products with no minimum purchase.

Also, we are not the cult of Leslie Blodgett. She seems like a cool lady, but she's just that - a lady. Not a demi-god! So please management! Calm down about her.

Great product but horrible management

Beauty Ambassador (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time

Pros: Loving the product and learning even more about it, interacting with clients who share the same passion for Bare Minerals, AWESOME discount and… Cons: Upper management. Seems to be the common trend across the country with this company. Their strict rules on attendance (recently changed to no grace period..… Advice to Senior Management: Stop with the favoritism and the retaliation towards those employees under you. Realize there… More

Painful!

Business Manager (Current Employee)
Garden City, NY

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than a year

Pros: There is absolutely nothing positive that I can say about… Cons: Utterly the worse company to work for! The company itself does not care about it's people at all! the human resources department is not there… Advice to Senior Management: Maybe they should start to care about their employees input and realize that employees can make or break a business. They are who the clients/… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Bare Escentuals.

Worked for Bare Escentuals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bare Escentuals reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bare Escentuals CEO Simon Cowell. All reviews posted anonymously by Bare Escentuals employees.