Bare Escentuals

There are newer employer reviews for Bare Escentuals

great place to grow

Current Employee - Area Trainer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Area Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of development offered at this company!

Cons

every year our job titles change, our responsibility changes, our demand for travel changes but our salaries do not

219 Other Employee Reviews for Bare Escentuals (View Most Recent)

Run, don't walk, in the other direction!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

50% product discount on retail
    20% product discount on sale and outlet items
    Good Insurance if you are full time

Cons

The company has a major identity crisis. They span across too many channels of distribution: Sephora, Sephora Inside JCPenney, Ulta, Boutiques, Outlet, Radio, .com, QVC, etc. They are their own biggest competitor and expect the boutiques to drive the same kind of revenue they did 5 years ago.

In 2013 they laid off 14 District Managers and expanded the remaining DM's territories .... only to hire 10 DM's in 2014 and decrease the territories. Upper Management has no clue how to run a successful company, so they are always "trying" new things...literally every month it is something different. They do not allow enough time with any initiative to see a true outcome. They need to come to the realization that they are over saturated in the market and it doesn't matter who the DM is, monthly sales plans need to be reduced and it is not realistic that business will grow every year especially with the growth and expansion of additional Sephora Inside JCPenney's and Ulta's opening nationwide.

The company expects a certain percentage of "SGR" which is Self Generated Revenue. They expect you to call and bother your customers to come in every other week for a "free make under" which is simply an attempt to get them back in the store to spend more money. People are busy, they do not have time for this. They will come in and shop when they need products.

In 4 years I have seen 5 District Managers. They hire power hungry women from other industries whose ideas of driving business is coming in, throwing their weight around and sitting in the back. They have no idea of what business partnership is. The ones that are promoted from within the company are at least somewhat realistic as to what can be accomplished in the boutiques. If you are seeking a Management position, I do not recommend this company. It will be the most stressful, emotional roller coaster of a "job", not career, you will have ever experienced.

Close the boutiques and focus on wholesale where someone else can lead and manage the people selling your products. Human Resources and Retail Operations are not your strong point.

Devoted to client satisfaction

I worked at Bare Escentuals

Pros

Leader in mineral makeup category

Cons

Growing and changing within the organization can sometimes leave the field feeling off balance in regards to leadership

Core needs to remain the same and change can occur based on needs of business not swing in leadership

There are newer employer reviews for Bare Escentuals