There are newer employer reviews for Barnes Group

It is a job!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Salary, Benefits, work at home

Cons

Management, no communication between management and employees

Leave us alone out in the field

46 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes Group (View Most Recent)

A lousy company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

Great product selection, quick efficient shipment of orders. Very good schedule at work

Cons

I just can't believe what a nightmare working here was! It was awful. After sitting through the worst two weeks of training I have ever had in my life it went downhill from there. Manager was terrible, knew nothing, no experience, helpless. Refused to help me. My managers boss was incompetent. not a clue. Called corporate office one day needing help, spent 45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to a CSR. What does it tell you about a company that thinks it's good that people spend 45 minutes on hold to talk to a CSR?

Get on a plane, spend a week making sales calls with team. LISTEN TO WHAT SALES TEAM HAS TO SAY!!!! Take action on what you learn. Do an employee survey, MANAGE FROM THE BOTTOM UP!!!!!!!! Listen to the members of your team, they can help!

Was offered a Crowned Prince position, but lived as a servant to the CRM and long hours doing quotes/presentation.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

The "Speed to Ramp" corp. training class for BDS's did reinforce some areas of difficulty a sales person has while interacting with a customer (prospect). It gave informational materials for continual review by the sales professional after the class. However, it is taught in a "perfect world" setting. The starting salary for a BDS is not bad and possibly the only reason most stay with the program after about 4 months in the field. They offer health/dental/401K w/ match as of day one. Most of the employees in the Cleveland office are very helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Being able to make your yearly sales plan with Barnes is almost unattainable. The aggressive approach is a turn off to potential prospects and hurts the sales process long term. The long hours spent on quotes and putting together final presentations takes a great deal of your personal time. Prepare to spend many hours after the business day ends doing CRM reporting and other reports. The company server is very slow which makes the process even longer. The CRM is a wonderful tool. It is a way to document your daily interactions with customers and the sales stage of each potential account. However, instead of the CRM being used as a tool it feels as if it is a weapon. After the Speed to Ramp training you will have "toll gate" reviews every 30, 60, 90 & 120 days. These toll gates are not accurate and they represent a false evaluation of the BDS and the work they have done. Most BDS's are hired a month or more before they are sent to the training in Cleveland. Instead of the toll gate reviews starting the first business day after training they are based on your date of hire. So, regardless you will always be behind. The toll gate is a one sided review of the BDS and their territory. They make notes as to your performance based on the CRM usage and the BDS has to sign the review regardless if it reflects your actual performance. This was very frustrating and in most cases leaves the BDS feeling unappreciated and under valued. I would not recommend this position to other sales professionals. Without notice or reason they reduced their sales force by 1/3 in March. After all the devotion to this position the BDS's in my region was given only a letter stating that their association with Barnes Distribution had ceased, on March xx (date of termination). To many of us this was a slap in the face after months of working so hard to promote their company and products. Shame on you Barnes, we all expected more from the new president that took over January 1, 2011.

It would be a saving grace to the main leadership of Barnes Group/Barnes Distribution to turn around the poor handling of the reduction in work force. These people deserve to have a written letter that states they did nothing wrong and their positions were eliminated. The verbal message to all was the same (based on my research of 10 dismissed BDS's), "Based on a company restructuring, your position as BDS has been eliminated as of today". Your corporate letter reads we were terminated and this hurts more than being let go. Shame on you if you don't rectify this poor judgement in business etiquette.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes Group