Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Next Generation Management!

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Pros

Great store teams
Great Regional (at least my region)
Fairly good home office support
Bonus structure for store management is very achievable
Very good work life balance
Very good benefits
Senior management has goals and they are achievable if you work hard enough

Cons

Pay is based on store volume and not really your performance
To move up in this company, you will have to be willing to move
There is a sense of "cliqs" between regions. If you are new to the company, people are friendly for the most part but you can feel like an outsider
Lack of payroll (like most retail now a days)

You guys are doing great! Continue to work on cutting expenses other than payroll and lets find away to reward our full time management!

168 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (View Most Recent)

Purpose for Higher learning

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are working in an environment that has a purpose besides just selling textbooks. You are selling the tools to people to be successful and to help them get the education that will hopefully allow them to fulfill their dreams and aspirations.

Cons

Long hours as a manager and like every company they want you to do more with less.

Please realize that we are the front line and taking away budget every year even when you are successful does not create good feelings amongst your hard working managers.

Red tape conglomerate

Current Employee - Bookseller
    Current Employee - Bookseller

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (more than 3 years)

Pros

The health and 401k benefits are great. Only busy at the beginning and end of semester, 30 hours is considered full time. Get paid snow days if the school is closed for snow. Most school holidays are paid. 2 weeks paid vacation, goes up after you have been there for so many years. Paid sick days.

Cons

Heavy lifting. Constantly receiving procedures from the home office on how everything should be done, but yet some things we dont know the procedures for. Sometimes the way things work are totally backwards, from what would be logical. Someone from a different stores gives me a yearly review.

Make procedures that stay consistent. Make sure procedures do wind up costing extra money down the road. Make sura that store management is properly trained. Little stores are as important as big stores, so make them look nice.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores