Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

www.bncollege.com
  www.bncollege.com
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

It was a great college experience, but was taken for granted.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alabama, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alabama, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met and helped new college students even making some friends. Meeting and striving to help professors, a few of which I would later take classes from and immediately have them know me as a good worker created a helpful relationship. Gave me customer service and marketing strategies that have helped build the skills and knowledge in business that even school couldn't of taught me, for instance, once in my senior Marketing classes, I already new about how to target customers, where to merchandise outposts that created the most impulse buys, and how the buildings floor plans were created to entice more customer purchases, as I was there before and after the building of a multimillion-dollar B&N College Bookstore.

Cons

In my one and a half years at B&N, myself and another were the only part-time males there for that entire period. We had a few others work, but usually as a temp (for when fall and spring semesters began) thus, we were always the ones made to carry anything more than twenty pounds even though we were given the same job title as the females. I did not mind at all doing that since most of the girls would help us when they could, but it was the fact that our store manager took advantage of us. He did so as when the new store was finished and ready to have all the stock transferred from the old, he (or B&N) did not hire movers for the 11,000 sq. feet of items, but made solely myself and the other male the only two employees, minus the university's forklift operator, transfer it 90% of it in two days. During those days we were allowed to wear shorts, but still made minimum wage. Lastly, during this time, the minimum wage was increasing every July and I was excited since I would also be finally getting my one-year raise. Except I started in July, and once the next July came, I waited until the end of the month and still no raise. I did however move from the previous minimum wage to the new one. Well, after I worked up the courage to confront the manager, he told me turned in my evaluation and that I should have received a raise, after a week or so, he apologized to me for it was Barnes & Noble that actually gave me a raise one week prior to the new minimum wage increase deadline, therefore purposely making my raise mean nothing as it was still less than what the new minimum wage became. I stuck it out as long as I could until two coworkers of my same title/pay receive their year raise in August. I saw no further reason to stay in a corporate business that was so deceiving.

Do not solely place heavy lifting on male employees when both have the same job description, requirements, and pay. Hire people specifically for those things or compensate for the extra tasks being aquired.

153 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (View Most Recent)

Small store, chill manager, awesome co-workers.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Auburn, NY
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Auburn, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great first job to learn customer service skills both in store and over the phone, 20% discount on textbooks, flexible (but plenty) hours.

Cons

The small space in our store made organizing books a bit difficult, and the store can't really handle more than fifteen-twenty people in our shelf aisles.

A wonderful way to be near the things I love (books) and serve people with a smile!

Current Employee - Trade Book Supervisor in Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Trade Book Supervisor in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Getting to be surrounded by all the books; meeting so many new faces every week; the opportunity to grow in my career; how the whole company is very focused on being oriented to customer service.

Cons

All the crazy paperwork; student worker turnover rate is crazy (but understandable); having to train new people every 3-6 months; not getting discounts at the other SUB eateries.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores