Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

www.bncollege.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Good job for college student.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on textbooks, which is nice because they are so expensive. You get to meet many of your classmates and learn about how they are doing in school so far. You learn a lot about the textbook industry.

Cons

The work is fairly demanding from a physical point of view. Your contributions, however useful or valuable, tend to go unnoticed. The pay isn't all that great considering the amount of work asked of you.

Don't focus so much on sales. I understand that this is how the store is evaluated, but there are more important factors to consider then just increasing sales numbers.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (View Most Recent)

Racist Sexists with a knack for nepotism

Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I met some of the best people working at B&N College. Smart, friendly, intelligent people who I hope to keep in contact with. It was great to be selling a great product (books). Some management was great.

Cons

Some of the management had serious women hating and racist tendencies. I complained about this to the upper management (as a non-minority, non-female employee who was committed to keeping the workplace a safe environment). And because of my complaints, I was retaliated against. They effectively demoted me (a common tactic at this bookstore as it has happened to others), and constantly complained about my performance, which up until that point I was given stellar remarks. When HR in their home office was called, they failed at affecting any change. With 10 years of experience in a retail setting, I have never seen a store with such poor store management.

I could not suggest anything other than early retirement.

I dreaded going into work.

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Pros

good group of co workers

Cons

Management is patronizing and very disorganized.

Don't talk down to your employees

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores