There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Good people to work with but other than that just below average place to work.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Rapids, IA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, lots of reading, laid back environment, nice customers for the most part, AWESOME discount

Cons

POOR store management, too much selling B&N memberships, store is dirty, horrible pay, too much poor morale

Advice to Management

Don't put so much darn pressure on selling memberships!!!! We understand they are important and we all try our hardest but some people are better at selling than others. Reward us for selling memberships even if it's a "Good Job selling today Sue" or a pat on the back. If somebody sells 4 memberships in a day; don't say "Well you should have sold 6" (Diane) Respect and give credit to the people that actually do a good job and work hard for you; not the people that have seniority and just do a half-effort job. Middle management: Keep up the great work!!! Communication could be improved a little bit but not much else. I left this job on good terms so I just want to show I have no ill will towards anyone; but the store manager here is BY FAR the worst I've ever worked under in retail and I've had quite a few retail jobs. This person needs to be dismissed and I just don't understand why she hasn't. We are constantly on the bottom for every type of ranking in our district(even getting people's emails into the system lol) Morale needs to be boosted with some membership acontests, special dressing days

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good job for college student.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on textbooks, which is nice because they are so expensive. You get to meet many of your classmates and learn about how they are doing in school so far. You learn a lot about the textbook industry.

Cons

The work is fairly demanding from a physical point of view. Your contributions, however useful or valuable, tend to go unnoticed. The pay isn't all that great considering the amount of work asked of you.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on sales. I understand that this is how the store is evaluated, but there are more important factors to consider then just increasing sales numbers.

Racist Sexists with a knack for nepotism

Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Bookseller in New Haven, CT

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of the best people working at B&N College. Smart, friendly, intelligent people who I hope to keep in contact with. It was great to be selling a great product (books). Some management was great.

Cons

Some of the management had serious women hating and racist tendencies. I complained about this to the upper management (as a non-minority, non-female employee who was committed to keeping the workplace a safe environment). And because of my complaints, I was retaliated against. They effectively demoted me (a common tactic at this bookstore as it has happened to others), and constantly complained about my performance, which up until that point I was given stellar remarks. When HR in their home office was called, they failed at affecting any change. With 10 years of experience in a retail setting, I have never seen a store with such poor store management.

Advice to Management

I could not suggest anything other than early retirement.