There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

Good people to work with but other than that just below average place to work.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Rapids, IA
Former Employee - Bookseller in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, lots of reading, laid back environment, nice customers for the most part, AWESOME discount

Cons

POOR store management, too much selling B&N memberships, store is dirty, horrible pay, too much poor morale

Advice to Management

Don't put so much darn pressure on selling memberships!!!! We understand they are important and we all try our hardest but some people are better at selling than others. Reward us for selling memberships even if it's a "Good Job selling today Sue" or a pat on the back. If somebody sells 4 memberships in a day; don't say "Well you should have sold 6" (Diane) Respect and give credit to the people that actually do a good job and work hard for you; not the people that have seniority and just do a half-effort job. Middle management: Keep up the great work!!! Communication could be improved a little bit but not much else. I left this job on good terms so I just want to show I have no ill will towards anyone; but the store manager here is BY FAR the worst I've ever worked under in retail and I've had quite a few retail jobs. This person needs to be dismissed and I just don't understand why she hasn't. We are constantly on the bottom for every type of ranking in our district(even getting people's emails into the system lol) Morale needs to be boosted with some membership acontests, special dressing days

Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

1. Good job for college student.

Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Dallas, TX

I worked at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a discount on textbooks, which is nice because they are so expensive. You get to meet many of your classmates and learn about how they are doing in school so far. You learn a lot about the textbook industry.

Cons

The work is fairly demanding from a physical point of view. Your contributions, however useful or valuable, tend to go unnoticed. The pay isn't all that great considering the amount of work asked of you.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on sales. I understand that this is how the store is evaluated, but there are more important factors to consider then just increasing sales numbers.

2. Great Experience

Current Employee - Bookseller in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good way to work on my Organizational, Communication and Social skills. A excellent opportunity to work in the Retail area.

Cons

I don't have any problems.