respectfully corporate

Current Employee - Cafe Server  in  Missoula, MT
Current Employee - Cafe Server in Missoula, MT

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

awesome discounts on products, 50% cafe, 25% books, and more. Great people with lots of respect for one another. Dress code is more lax than most, health benefits are average. works with local charities and the community :)

Cons

scheduling and lack of employees

break rooms could use some life

Other Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Its a retail environment with a great dependence on seasonal hires.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

Management has 40 hour work weeks. No super early or late hours. Great store discounts. Good insurance and benefits. Family can use discount.

Cons

You need to know someone to get promoted. Low hourly pay means you are spending more time training than working. Its retail.

the customer experience wasn't important, what was important was the sales numbers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Manhasset, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhasset, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

The benefits package is great. Great health insurance. That is all.

Cons

Starting pay is very low. As a lead, I was getting paid less than several of the longtime employees that I was supervising. Also,I don't know if it was like this at other B&Ns, but at the one I worked in, employee input was not encouraged. Some employees were ridiculed behind their back. Management did not know how to handle favoritism, and some employees were allowed to disregard rules without repercussions, while others were picked on for the smallest infraction, like having a cup of water under the counter.

Listen to your employees. Address their concerns and treat them fairly and equally. When an employee needs help, do not reprimand them for asking for assistance. Above all, treat them with dignity, like a human being.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!