There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Good Company but so much drama

Current Employee - Barista
Current Employee - Barista

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

They are willing to let you have off for personal days and are very good at working around your other schedules.

Cons

Lots of drama. Give promotions to undeserving people. Would rather give a promotion to someone in the in crowd or someone that has no idea what they're doing rather then give it to someone who has been there awhile.

I would say to make sure your managers are doing what they're supposed to and not making things look like they're supposed to always look only when you are coming in to the store.

1069 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Nice employees and mgmt (for the most part), flexible hours, bad pay

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

- Friendliest team of coworkers and management I've ever worked with
    - Engaging work, always something to do
    - Knowledgeable managers
    - Nice discount
    - Customers are generally friendly and understanding

Cons

- Head manager is relatively new to the store, but already is somewhat abusive to employees and customers, isn't knowledgeable, and pressures us to sell Memberships and capture emails (IE berate the customer with annoying questions). When we do sell, we don't receive praise.
    - Pressure to sell memberships that are NOT a good deal, and the customer can tell.
    - Even with prior work experience, I'm getting paid barely above minimum wage

Pay more attention to who is chosen for management and their performance

Barnes & Noble requires you to be able to work in a variety of parts of the store but still pays minimum wage.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

As retail jobs go, Barnes & Noble isn't that bad. You get to read advances of books and rent out hardcovers for free.

Cons

The employee discount takes off less than just buying the book online, and it only works at list price. As a part time employee I wasn't granted four days off in a week when requesting time a month in advance, which seemed a bit ridiculous. You're required to cross-train, and so you have to work in the cafe, on the floor, in Nook, register, etc. but you still get paid minimum wage. If you have to earn that kind of money, just work somewhere where you can screw around. They don't let you read when you work the cash register, even when no one's in the store.

Let employees eat expired cafe items. It's so wasteful and frustrating to have to throw away so much food when you make $7.50 an hour.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!