Out of five years we had 4 different store managers. The last one got fired for stealing and that's when I had enough.

Former Employee - Bookseller
Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you build a relationship with other workers it can be fun if the management allows it.
Good Benefits

Cons

Low pay low pay
No chance for advancement
On the retail level, most of the Managers are English majors. No thought for making money or success.
Management follows a book
Workers are not free to come up with ideas

I would start looking for managers that are more business minded. When you have an employee that worked there since he was 16 and is going to school for business he should have opportunities. Not to mention corporate recognition and taking over receiving managers job for four months. Not a smart company.

Other Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Nice employees and mgmt (for the most part), flexible hours, bad pay

I have been working at Barnes & Noble

Pros

- Friendliest team of coworkers and management I've ever worked with
    - Engaging work, always something to do
    - Knowledgeable managers
    - Nice discount
    - Customers are generally friendly and understanding

Cons

- Head manager is relatively new to the store, but already is somewhat abusive to employees and customers, isn't knowledgeable, and pressures us to sell Memberships and capture emails (IE berate the customer with annoying questions). When we do sell, we don't receive praise.
    - Pressure to sell memberships that are NOT a good deal, and the customer can tell.
    - Even with prior work experience, I'm getting paid barely above minimum wage

Pay more attention to who is chosen for management and their performance

Not Bad for Part Time

Former Employee - Receiver
    Former Employee - Receiver

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

I only worked part time for a few months before finding a full time job elsewhere, but overall it was a good work environment. I like staying busy at work and in the receiving department, you will stay busy. There are lots of incoming and outgoing orders, so you will always have work to do. Fellow employees were courteous and enjoyable to work with. If you are bibliophile, working in a bookstore is obviously a big plus and the employee discount is nice. It seemed like if you were competent and hardworking, there was a good opportunity to move up.

Cons

Typically, B&N doesn't like employees to have more than 35+ hours a week, because that's when health benefits kick in.

I only worked at B&N for a few months before moving onto a full-time job elsewhere, but my interactions with Management was positive. Management seemed to do a good job of keeping employees informed about expectations and new policies being implemented.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!