There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

A Smart and humane retailer.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have well developed systems and really know their business. They also seem to really care about their employees and are able drive business and key metrics in a responsible way. B&N probably has some of the smartest sales associate out there who's loyalty and love for books benefits the customers on a daily basis. I also feel it is an exciting time at B&N with their digital products and feel they have a very bright future a head.

Cons

Because they have such a loyal team turn over is less than most big retailers. This make advancement challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the envelope and continue to grow the B&N community. (More on that later)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Needs overhaul of Management

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount on books, food, and even nook products Access to various author and musical events at stores

Cons

Pay is horrible A $0.25cent raise every year is not really a raise Management -- in my store in particular -- is horrendous

Advice to Management

If you continue to not encourage your staff and continuously -- and blatantly -- disrespect them, you will loose a lot of hard-working, and qualified staff members.

No longer booksellers-we're book-put-away-ers

Current Employee - Bookseller in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are given a generous discount (30% on most items) and are paid time-and-a-half for working holidays. When a store has had the same staff for years (like mine) we are a well-oiled machine and we enjoy working with each other.

Cons

Salary caps: after a few years in the same position there are no further increases in pay, not even "cost-of-living". There are no bonuses, either. The alternative is to apply for an advanced position, resulting in people becoming management who have no management skills.

Advice to Management

The attitude towards people camping out in the store, wrecking the place, and never buying anything. Management refuses to kick these people out so all day it's a constant stream of putting things back after freeloaders leave them in piles everywhere. Which leaves hardly any time to help the paying customers. Or we can't find what they want because somebody is reading it in the store. Cover all the electrical outlets so people can't plug in their cellphones, computers, fax machines and printers. Make people buy something and get out, not rearrange the cafe tables into their own private office! Post signs saying "No Outside Food or Drink"-so people will buy from our cafe if they do spend the day.