Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Not challenging; a lot of temps

New York, NY

ProsFree snacks/sodas/refreshments, etc. stocked daily
Great location in Chelsea (across Chelsea Market, High Line, shops, etc.)
Casual office attire
Office parties for holidays etc
Summer Fridays

ConsI added the extra star because of the above pros. Otherwise, bn seems to not be doing well, as in since I've been there, there have been major layoffs throughout, at least in 2 major waves. Full-timers I used to see daily in the past are gone. Red flag. Departments are virtually empty most of the week. Red flag. Many seem bored there/lack energy. Red flag. Personally, I'm in a department made up of temps, except managers/supervisor titles. No room for growth, making the same $ for 2 yrs, no reward system. Red flag.

Advice to Senior ManagementLong-term temps should see some kind of pay raise after loyally working there for so long. They stay to make 40 hours a week, and although they have the option for Summer Fridays/ half-day, they don't get paid for those hours like full-time employees (of course because they're temp). But there are temps that have been w/ bn for 3+ years and still get paid the same, etc. Even $1 raise after a certain amount of time spent at bn would help enough that maybe, things would balance out a little more and loyal long term temps could actually enjoy Summer Fridays.

Barnes & Noble Bookstore Review

Lead Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Barnes & Noble is a great company to work for if you are a high school or… Cons: Barnes & Noble has been late with the ebook market. They are playing… Advice to Senior Management: Management should take a more understanding approach to booksellers and leads. There… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The Best Job I Ever Had!

Receiving Manager (Former Employee)
    Saugus, MA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The friendships you establish; the job and perks Cons: There really are no cons to describe this employer. Advice to Senior Management: Continue on the same course that you have always had. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.