There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Annual Layoffs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, attempts at trying to seem to care for the employees

Cons

They do layoffs EVERY year right after MLK birthday. Where careers come to dies.

Let employees know there is no growth. Don't hire anyone under 40 and no kids for that reason.

reviews filtered by

A love of books just wasn't enough to stay.

Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Destin, FL
    Former Employee - Children's Lead Bookseller in Destin, FL

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with other book lovers, as well as customers who enjoy reading. There were occasional opportunities for independent merchandising, as well as coordinating community events. Customer interaction was generally rewarding. The pace was usually fast, with not much slow or down time, which I prefer, as it makes a shift pass quickly.

Cons

The bookselling team was not provided with adequate leadership. Department Leads were consistently scheduled to work in other departments, including the cafe, for up to 30 hours in a 40 hour work week. 10 hours per week is not enough time to effectively manage a department. I was a bookseller, not a barista, responsible for a department that provided 20-30% of store sales, yet I was often slinging coffee or working the registers. Proposals for increasing community relations and hosting events were almost always denied, with no explanation. The pay was considerably lower than other retail opportunities in the area. Employee morale was often low, with a general mood of frustration and a lack of inspiration on the sales floor.

I have worked in four different bookstores during the past 25 years; two large corporate chains, and two small independents. People who want to work in bookstores tend to be educated and passionate about books, and if provided with quality leadership and inspiration, will often go far above and beyond what is expected, even if they are being under-compensated. If your team is not doing this, I suggest you look in a mirror for answers.

2. Challenging, yet rewarding.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic, as well as the book loan program. An employee is compensated well for their work (i.e., appropriate break times, lunch breaks, etc.). Working around books is incredibly fun for any bibliophile, and it keeps me brushed up on my literature, as well as inspired me to go home and do more research about different authors and novels. Helping adults and children maintain a healthy relationship with books and reading is important for our society, and it's nice to be a part of that process.

Cons

There seems to be difficulty with management--not enough leeway in the right places and too much in others. There also seems to be a considerable amount of drama--as I'm sure is in any workplace. The pay is a bit low for what is expected of basic booksellers, especially those that are good at what they do. If you do well at your job, you're given more responsibility, while others that are (under assumption) making the same pay as you, are not required anything more than the basic bookseller duties. Also, because of cutbacks, management really does overwork what employees they have, resulting in one bookseller doing the duties of what two, if not three should be required to do.

Another point is that the scheduling (perhaps it is just for my store) has a tendency to be late. We are on a week-by-week schedule that is sometimes released the Thursday before the next week, making it impossible to schedule anything for your personal life ahead of time. Which is okay, if you have completely open availability, but very few people do.

My advice to management would be to invest in your employees more, rather than the Nook. The booksellers are the ones that are the liaison between you and the people--if you have disgruntled employees, you will have disgruntled customers. Needless to say, disgruntled customers soon equal no customers.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble