Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

If you have to work retail, it's not bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Westport, CT

ProsNice to be around books; coworkers were pleasant, hardworking; customers were usually appreciative. As a full-time employee I received health benefits, a 401K, and paid time off. Opportunity for promotion was available if you could drink the kool-aid.

ConsPay was terrible; schedule was erratic; usually had to work weekends and frequently evenings. Management attitude was inconsistent depending on the latest hot button from HQ. Expectation was to provide great customer service, but often without sufficient coverage. Then mgmt would question why you couldn't handle everything perfectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease hourly pay; treat employees with more respect; set reasonable objectives.

Annual Layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good health insurance, attempts at trying to seem to care… Cons: They do layoffs EVERY year right after MLK birthday. Where… Advice to Senior Management: Let employees know there is no growth. Don't hire anyone… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Part-Time Bookseller

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: This is a great place to work if you like books. I worked here as a part-time bookseller for several years while attending school.… Cons: Relatively low pay at first. Stores sometimes close, and you have… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.