Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnobleinc.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Tend to discriminate against older employees

Bookseller (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the supervisors and managers I experienced were good, caring people, with one notable exception. The first manager I worked for there was abusive, but he only lasted about two years before leaving the company. Employees who were laid off were given severance packages.

ConsDon't want to hire full time employees. Laid off employees over forty. Favored employees who were former Barnes & Noble, Inc. employees over those working for bookstores they took over.

If you have to work retail, it's not bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Westport, CT

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time for more than a year

Pros: Nice to be around books; coworkers were pleasant, hardworking; customers were usually appreciative. As a full-time employee I received… Cons: Pay was terrible; schedule was erratic; usually had to work weekends and frequently evenings. Management attitude was inconsistent depending on the latest hot button… Advice to Senior Management: Increase hourly pay; treat employees with more respect; set reasonable… More

good for a starter job

Bookseller (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: flexible schedule - was easily able to finish school and… Cons: Lower salaries, typical retail job otherwise. it is helpful to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.