Barnes & Noble

Perfect Part-time Job

Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Lincolnshire, IL
Current Employee - Part Time Book Seller in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

There's a great discount on the merchandise, with an increased percentage for the "employee appreciation week" that falls at the beginning of the holiday season. You can borrow hard cover books for two weeks. There is also a lot of flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

There isn't really the opportunity to work full-time, and full-time would only be 30 hours as opposed to 40.

1264 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Management was in disarray. Difficult to move up in company

Former Employee - Cafe Lead in East Northport, NY
    Former Employee - Cafe Lead in East Northport, NY

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and working environment. Depending where you work in Barnes & Noble will determine how much you like the job.

Cons

I worked n the Cafe at Barnes & Noble. Originally applied to a position on the floor and based on my experience in restaurants and customer service they offered me the Cafe Lead position with the intentions to transfer to the floor. Working in the Cafe is very hectic at times. You are almost non top during whichever shift you work. At times you can get overwhelmed because the Cafe is understaffed. And you have to deal with customers who have no patience and many attitudes.

I found it amusing that I clearly operate the Cafe better then the actual Cafe Manager but I would not be considered for that position at that store or other stores because I was told I need at least 1-2 years experience with Barnes & Noble even though I had over 8 years of customer service and management experience from previous job. So I would have to deal with a lousy pay check with no overtime for 1-2 years.

Terrible

Former Employee - Bookseller in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Nashville, TN

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You are around book.
    You help people find the books they're looking for.
    If you are part-time, you may have a lot of flexibility with your schedule.

Cons

The management at my location was terrible. There were a few good ones, but all of the managers that had power over me were terrible. I was an excellent worker. Supervised numerous staff and went well above the minimum wage employee expectations. Eventually I was laid off for numerous unsubstantial reasons with 1 day's notice. Most of the employees were astounded by this. A few even said that THEY should be let go instead of me if they were going to cut anyone.

If it was any grace of karma, the store manager was asked to leave his position a week after I was laid off.

I'm sure other stores are great, but this was my experience.

The retail bookstore may be a dying business, but don't let a management concern for the bottom line $$$ impact how you treat your employees. Reward dedicated and hard working employees - if not financially, through job security or nice words.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble