Barnes & Noble

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

It Is What You Make It

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Able to cultivate excellent relationships with District Managers, Regional Directors, Merchandising Department, HR representatives, Cafe executives, outside company representatives, fellow managers, and booksellers, if so inclined; many opportunities for advancement; very good benefits package as well as perks, such as the discounts and book loan program; consistently worked with well-educated people who were enthusiastic, if not passionate, about books, music, and movies; high energy, always busy environment, despite the staff's casual, calm appearance; customer interaction is more personal as a result of cultivated relationships with fellow book lovers who relish suggestions and anticipate releases .

Cons

Training can be "fly by the seat of one's pants"; Store Managers and District Managers often are erratic in their priorities and goals for each store; due to publishing trends and consumer demand, the "bookstore" now has fewer books than ever and much more games, gift product, bargain, and children's merchandise; although the layout and merchandising are fairly similar store to store (Music Departments, Cafes, bestsellers, etc.), the atmosphere, attitude, and expectations can be wildly different; store management has continually increased demands which takes them off the floor far too often; many managers at the store level are wonderful, while a number of others are highly condescending and disrespectful to the PT and FT non-management staff.

Approach the work and people with a positive, industrious state of mind. Make an effort to understand the concerns and directives of both home office and the front lines and work to open communication; far too often, representatives and executives from the home office will visit stores and seemingly ignore an employee demonstrating that a planogram is impossible according to scientific law and store level management will not listen to the "suits" expressing fiscal concerns in the competitive market. Importantly, always support the booksellers, music sellers, and cafe servers by 1) training them effectively and instilling confidence, because the current training program is substandard; 2) creating a positive, supportive, transparent work environment in which the store managers are frequently on the floor and interacting with both employees and customers; 3) always treat employees with respect [because they are human beings] and show compassion before judgment-- questioning your own motives and recollecting the training you provided, the nature of your demeanor, and the interactions with each individual.

1186 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

A great opportunity

Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Bookseller in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work with most of their employees.

Cons

Need to eliminate bad hires sooner.

Overall fairness to all employees instead of overseeing flaws do to favortism or not willing to discipline.

Working to learn, learning to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working up at Barnes and Noble as a temporary cashier. My coworkers were always upbeat and cheerful giving out a WOW experience to each and every customer.

Cons

The RUSH season for a college barnes and noble is iffy. If you're new you struggle to answer questions and stay on top. My first few days I had a buddy but after that I had trouble calling for help with questions and advice when a customer approached me with a problem. The last con I can think of is they hire ALOT of temps so the window to prove yourself is small (especially in my case sadly).

There needs to be a training course for new employees at College Barnes and Nobles. Everyone is busy so it helps when the employee has more knowledge of what it is that they are handling. Another tip would be to encourage the buddy system more. I had one for two days then I was left alone to fend for myself. You do get on the job training more on hand, definitely get that, but you also need to understand that knowledge is power. Help them help the customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble