There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Great product

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

As a book lover, I enjoyed working for a company who contributed to their local community and encouraged reading for all ages. B&N also embraces individuality and diversity which brought a great balance to the work environment.

Cons

I wish the salary had been higher and that there was better training. People need to be taught about what great customer service looks like. B&N should take the time to do so.

Higher salaries afford you a higher level of talent. Take the time to find truly dedicated people who want to be there.

1069 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Tons of mistakes!

Former Employee - Bookseller  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

Cons

Memberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Talk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!

A once great company

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros

When I started seven years ago, B&N was one of the best companies to work for. There were plenty of employees, so you had newer or part-time employees who handled customer service and putting books away during the day, and more regular and experienced employees who would handle projects and managing displays. The store always looked great, and there were enough people to provide the type of customer service that convinced people to shop in one of our stores as opposed to Amazon.

Cons

Now, B&N has become another typical corporation. Hours have been slashed to nigh unbearable levels. So much focus has been put on Nook sales with ridiculous goals that nearly all stores are failing to reach them. With two or three employees stationed at the Nook counter all day, a skeleton crew is left on the floor, expected to manage projects, recovery and customer service. Something has to go by the wayside, and since we're expected to get all of those projects done, customer service has suffered. There is a HUGE disconnect between store and district management. Hell, it seems like district and upper management have no clue what goes on in the stores. They just pile on more and more demands on stressed out employees. To compound matters, pay is minimum wage, so getting skilled, motivated and personable employees capable of accomplishing everything expected of them is almost impossible. Why work yourself to the bone for minimum wage at B&N when you can make two dollars more somewhere else?

Ease off on the stores. If the company continues to post increasing profits, why do hours seem like they're still being cut? Customer service is kind of a joke now, because there are too many customers and too many projects with too few employees. When I first started, it was unheard of to simply direct a customer to the section they were looking for. "Put the book in the customer's hand" was the rule. Now, when you have four customers lined up and the only other person on the bookfloor is on break, what are we supposed to do?

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!