Barnes & Noble
www.barnesandnoble.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Tons of mistakes!

Bookseller (Former Employee)
Fresno, CA

ProsI love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

ConsMemberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!

Terrible

Bookseller (Former Employee)
    Nashville, TN

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time for less than a year

Pros: You are around book. You help people find the books they're looking for. If… Cons: The management at my location was terrible. There were a few good ones, but all of the managers that had power over me were terrible.… Advice to Senior Management: The retail bookstore may be a dying business, but don't let a management concern for the bottom line $$$ impact… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A once great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes & Noble

Pros: When I started seven years ago, B&N was one of the best companies to work for. There were plenty of employees, so you had… Cons: Now, B&N has become another typical corporation. Hours have been slashed to nigh unbearable levels. So much focus has been put on Nook… Advice to Senior Management: Ease off on the stores. If the company continues to post increasing profits, why do hours seem like they're still being cut? Customer… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Barnes & Noble.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes & Noble CEO Michael Huseby. All reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees.