Barnes & Noble

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get great ideas about reading material, most of the time really great customers.

Cons

Low pay and the scheduled shifts are short.

1186 Other Employee Reviews for Barnes & Noble (View Most Recent)

Tons of mistakes!

Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Fresno, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love books-and the people who read them! The discussions that I had with customers were stimulating and resulted in new favorites.

Cons

Memberships-when you don't make them, get ready to be asked what's wrong! Even if you are up front about not liking to upsell! When you do make them, doesn't matter. You'll get told to do better-one of my co-workers was always over her goal and even she was getting told she needed to improve! No one is ever told the same thing and often you'll be taught one thing, but told not to do if "so and so" is working. I was told that I shouldn't be working retail because I was not good at upselling. Sorry, but the four years of other retail experience I have where my managers begged me to stay (but I was moving) disagree.

Talk to each other! No one ever has the same information. On my last day, the closing manager was not aware and when I told him did not pay me out. I assumed I would get direct deposit, but I didn't. Apparently I was "paid out" that day, but no one bothered to tell the manager that was closing! Follow common courtesy and professional courtesy-lecturing an employee in front of the registers and a brand new co-worker is completely inappropriate! If returns need a head cashier to approve, that's fine, but make sure their phone works! And to the store managers-the customer is always right! And even if they aren't, the way I saw you treat some customers makes me wonder how it's possible you haven't been sued!

A struggling company

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, not overly agressive sales environment, advancement opportunites

Cons

this company is struggling with the digital revolution, very demanding payroll expectations while maintaining world class customer service

be realistic in your payroll expectations

There are newer employer reviews for Barnes & Noble